Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NE555 Frequency Divider...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ormo

I'm building a digital clock and so far I've got a 2Hz signal, however my local parts store are closing for a few weeks of renovations and I'm really want to carry on with the clock (I've got everything else I need, I just forgot to get the IC I had in mind to divide by 2).

So I was wondering... is it possible to use an NE555 timer to divide a signal by 2? I've got a couple of these chips spare so if I could use them it would be a great help.

Thanks!

Surely you have a spare flipflop lying around. Something like a 7474 or 4013.

Hi Mike,

why not supply the wiring? :)

Here it is.

(Clock in 100Hz, out 50Hz)

Hans

Attachments

• DIVIDE-BY2.jpg
    DIVIDE-BY2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,943
This is what on offer from the NET. I have not tested it and have no idea if it works or not.

Attachments

• freq555.gif
    freq555.gif
    20.5 KB · Views: 5,522
This is what on offer from the NET. I have not tested it and have no idea if it works or not.

Just use a flipflop, much more stable as 555 has analog parts.

A 555 as a divider is a bad solution in a digital clock.

Last edited:

It will work if timing is 100%. Thinking of the cap it takes a lot of experiments to get it right.

I wouldn't recommend that kind of circuit for a frequency divider.

It will work if timing is 100%. Thinking of the cap it takes a lot of experiments to get it right.

I wouldn't recommend that kind of circuit for a frequency divider.

What do you mean by 100% timing?

The circuit is a simple one-shot triggered by the input frequency. As long as the one-shot timing is longer than the input one cycle period but shorter than two, the circuit will work.

hey ppl i'm makin a bell which will trigger an alarm if an unknown person enters a room or whatever.it is basically a musical bell that activates with a single puff of breath.Only the members of the family know about the bell so they can puff out and the door will open.
i just needed to know whether ne1 can give me some ideas abt it.Im using ic ne555 and ic um66 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back