Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

National Semiconductor sample rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

picbits

Placed an order for approx $75 worth of samples (retail value) from National Semiconductor yesterday for some prototype products I'm looking to build for later this year.

Everything went through ok and after clicking on the submit button checked my emails. Ironically someone on piclist.com had ordered almost exactly the same samples as I'd requested but had been presented with a shipping bill of nearly $280.

Had confirmation this morning from National Semiconductor with a remark on each part that a shipping charge would apply and to click on a link for details.

On clicking on the link I found I was presented with similar "shipping charges" of $270

I've placed a similar sample order with Intersil which appears to be going through without a problem so guess who's products I'll end up using in my new designs ..........

It's probably just as well since the sampling process is widely abused. If the shipping charges were reasonable what are you squawking about?

Papabravo said:
If the shipping charges were reasonable what are you squawking about?
Eh ?

If I'd ordered $270 worth of parts and been presented with a $75 shipping charge then I'd accept that as a reasonable shipping charge.

I'd actually ordered $75 worth of "free" samples and been presented with a $270 shipping charge :(

All the samples would fit in a small padded jiffy bag and would cost a maximum of $10 to send via insured post.

I'm not going to be using masses of these products - probably around 200-300 of each per year but thats still a few grands worth of business a year.

So why not just pay for your samples, and get free postage? - which most companies do (such as RS Components).

Like you say, charging this amount for 'free' samples is just a scam, deal with a better company instead!.

is National the one with multiple shipping options? Maybe the pay for play option is selected by default now.

I recall ordering samples from some vendor and they offered ground shipping for free, or expedited shipping for a fee.

Depending on how set you were at getting these samples, for free, you can call the suppliers local sales office and request the samples over the phone. I've done this a few times with different suppliers for parts not available for sampling on the internet.

I'm having a heck of a time getting some hall effect switches from Diodes Inc FKA Anachip. It seems all the old Anachip stock has been destroyed at the request of Diodes, I'm shocked that it hasn't landed on surplus sites or ebay by now. Diodes estimates approx 10-12 weeks for re-certification of this particular anachip part (AH337)

Nigel Goodwin said:
So why not just pay for your samples, and get free postage? - which most companies do (such as RS Components).
Unfortunately the parts I wanted are not stocked by RS, Farnell or Rapid who I have accounts with.

To get them in from a distributor would mean ordering a minimum of between 40 and 400 units which for proof of concept prototypes is a bit of an overkill and rather expensive.

I can get the Intersil parts I ordered as samples from RS so that isn't a problem but if Intersil are good enough to send me samples F.O.C. and my design works then it will be their parts I order in bulk for the end products.

Also placed some sample orders with ST this week - I'm not a sample whore by the way ;) most of the samples end up either as new products or retired as not suitable for what I need to use them for.

justDIY said:
is National the one with multiple shipping options? Maybe the pay for play option is selected by default now.

I recall ordering samples from some vendor and they offered ground shipping for free, or expedited shipping for a fee.

Depending on how set you were at getting these samples, for free, you can call the suppliers local sales office and request the samples over the phone. I've done this a few times with different suppliers for parts not available for sampling on the internet.

Nearest sales office to me for National appears to be in Germany. There was no shipping options and a call around some of the large distributors ended up with no luck - they didn't stock the parts I wanted as standard and there was a long lead time and large MOQ which would be fine for production runs but for getting the prototypes off the ground was a no-go

If companies don't want their samples system abused then they should make it easier for people to buy them. Instead of a samples department they should have a small volumes order depertment. Most companies are willing to pay for a few devices to test before they consider placing large orders.

Ditto on what Hero said.

I love Texas Instruments though. Their sample program is the best. Never any problem with them, and I always try to use their stuff in my designs because I know if I break something and need it overnight and Digikey only has it in reels or something, they will overnight me a single part for free. It pays off, I use their stuff frequently. Well, it will pay off for them if we every go commercial on our stuff anyway.

I've got to say my favourite supplier of samples is Microchip - I don't abuse the service though and maybe order 20 samples a year.

Another company who I experienced excellent service from is Allegro - they would have been my first choice for the bridge driver chips I'm after but they dont have any with a high enough rating :(

speakerguy79 said:
Ditto on what Hero said.

I love Texas Instruments though. Their sample program is the best. Never any problem with them, and I always try to use their stuff in my designs because I know if I break something and need it overnight and Digikey only has it in reels or something, they will overnight me a single part for free. It pays off, I use their stuff frequently. Well, it will pay off for them if we every go commercial on our stuff anyway.

Isn't TI charging to ship samples now? Last time I checked, they wanted to charge me for shipping...even ground.

Nope, I've gotten free overnight on all my last orders. Maybe because I do it as a company (one account for work, another for my at home business). Might be a reason for shipping charges if you are just an individual. Overnight has been free every time I've done it, but I only do that when absolutely necessarily.

Well as an update I've received samples this week from Intersil and ST.

Excellent service from them both and I've actually send a thank you note to both for their efficient service :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back