Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rant - Verizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
Been having issues with Verizon for the past two days. I don't know if it's SOPA related or what, but their DNS servers appear to be very slow to respond. Basically pages fail to load as if their is an intermittent connection to the Internet.

I changed the DNS server addresses and no issues.

Question: Did they farm their support out to India? I called and all I heard from the technical support rep over and over was "There system was down for maintenance" and it should be operational about 8 hours from now.

I don't think she knew what a DNS server was. You can't even log into their website.

It will probably be better this way because they won't be able to hyjack a non-existant domain from a mispelling and put up a page of advertisements.

End RANT!

Last edited:
How could it be SOPA related? SOPA hasn't (and probably won't) pass, not to mention it will take months or years to implement enforcement even if it did.
Every net provider has connection issues every now and then especially Verizon as their networks is quiet complex, I wouldn't read anything into it at all.

Although they'd never admit it, there's a good chance either something went wrong or they were doing scheduled maintenance and simply turned off the call center because they knew the call volume would become so great and it would all be people asking what's wrong. My electric company does the same thing, but they're at least polite enough to put a recorded message saying there's a known problem in your area and give a time estimate.

SOPA: Attacks on websites

That's all the warm body would say. "Down for maintenance" with new changes here and there. How land was it? It should be up by 8:00 am. We can't run line tests. It was a warm body with an Indian accent and a not a recording. The hardware like routers and DNS systems should not have

The kind of problem I was experiencing could have easily been that their DNS servers were hit by a Denial of Service attack.

No webpage blurbs.

Last edited:
Oh brother...

That's a whole lot of speculation Kiss. Maybe someone just tripped over a power cable? :) DOS attacks from hackers wouldn't last for days there had to be a real technical issue.

DOS attacks from hackers wouldn't last for days there had to be a real technical issue.
No but the attacks can crash the system and knowing the idiots at Verizon it may take them days to get it running again.

That's a whole lot of speculation Kiss. Maybe someone just tripped over a power cable? DOS attacks from hackers wouldn't last for days there had to be a real technical issue.

My wife was there and left 45+ online screens running in the background all at once thus plugging up their connection.
Or at least thats what happens here when my system starts acting up and stalling more than usual.:p

No but the attacks can crash the system and knowing the idiots at Verizon it may take them days to get it running again.
I can't really comment on that too much... anyone that has talked to anyone at Verizon would agree with you, but their high end tech side can't be dumb, the signal technology and hardware they work with is bleeding edge state of the art DSP stuff, and even the basic net infrastructure isn't gonna be run by a simple monkey (don't quote me on that ;))

If there net system was down or intermittent for 2 days, you can be sure of one thing, it was a REAL system problem. A simple crash or DOS attack would take nothing more than a total shut down and controlled sequential power up, and most of that stuff nowdays is automated.

Last edited:
A simple crash or DOS attack would take nothing more than a total shut down and controlled sequential power up, and most of that stuff nowdays is automated.
May be that took days.
I dont want to be to harsh but I think Verizon tried to get to big to fast and are now overwelmed.

4pyros said:
May be that took days.
Only if they never planned for the possibility of it shutting down, which is ignorant (not too far fetched though) start up sequences are generally pretty straight forward. It's happened with power networks before though, but I still don't really see that as a likely reason. Occam's razor and all, I'm sure the truth is far more boring than the conspiracy theories =)

4pyros said:
I dont want to be to harsh but I think Verizon tried to get to big to fast and are now overwelmed.
Considering Verizon's pricing scheme I don't think you can be too harsh... Their network capabilities however I don't think are really that close to being overwhelmed at all. Radio service aside there is a massive glut of bandwidth as far as service providers go, and data/server center applications are virtually plug and play nowdays and scaling isn't even that hard anymore. They have so much cash they can throw at that problem that it ceases to exist.

As far as the wireless end of things goes, I'm gonna give it 5 years before I comment on that, it's evolving so fast it's ridiculous and although media is a big part of it I think the real world demand of broadband wireless is far lower than industry pundits believe and bloated artificially (probably not intentionally) by applications on modern devices using more bandwidth than they actually require. Dense long distance wireless media ussage in urban areas will never cause a problem, because in those areas short distance wireless subjugates it as a tertiary service for basic phone service and even that's being itself supplanted by voice over IP applications. It's amazingly dynamic.

5 years from now, I think you'll see capacity increase and belts tighten, and for the love of my paycheck I hope we see prices go down as well. Right now it's demand driven, as soon as it becomes definitively service/capability driven all sorts of changes will start to occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back