Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nano antenna concentrates light

Status
Not open for further replies.

tytower

Banned
**broken link removed**

What advances might this bring?
New video camera/camera/microscope magnifying properties?
New Space telescopes ?
Could this be going on naturally and affecting what we see in space ?

The mind boggles !

Microscopic laser battles! woohoo =)
Who knows, only the guys that made the thing probably have a good idea of it's possible applications, I can't think of any off the top of my head. Making quantum effects work on a macro scale is not easy, the basic fabrication of that single example probably cost large amounts of resources, turning that into a real product that can be manufactured is a tooooooootally different situation.

Last edited:
I can think of one immediate application (well, assuming that they can manufacture a commercial device): longer distance fiber-optic links with lower power lasers. Right now, fiber optic links over long distances (ocean floor) require repeaters which are incorporated into the cable and powered via a power source supplied by wires in the cable. Decreasing the number of repeaters (or eliminating them entirely) would likely have numerous benefits (greater bandwidth? more channels? lower costs, etc)...

Sounds like a good application to me cr0sh but that'll take them a while to develop, what they have right now is a single lense, so they can focus to a point what you're talking about would require multiple lenses to concentrate and refocus the beam back into a collimated source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back