my varactor extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but the Q is nevertheless R*XL, where R accounts for all resistance in parallel with the tank circuit.

True. The resistor will help isolate the tank from the parasitic capacitance of the four DAC resistors and their associated pad capacitances.

Ron H said:
... the Q is nevertheless R*XL, where R accounts for all resistance in parallel with the tank circuit.
I went to Wikipedia, and they were talking about all the RF stuff I forgot about. They say:

Attachments

• q.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 570
This applies to series resonant circuits with a series R, or parallel resonant where the resistor is in series with the L or the C. It should be obvious that, for a parallel resonant tank with a parallel resistor, the Q is proportional to resistance, while in the case that you posted, it is inversely proportional to resistance.
Regarding √L/C, if you do the math for Fr=100MHz, L=100nH, you will find that this equals 63 ohms, which is identical to reactance of L and C individually. This is NOT the same as the impedance of the tank, which is, for ideal components, infinite at resonance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…