• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My TV died

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvs sarma

Well-Known Member
Nice Ron H,

i got you very correctly.-being at 61+ , i could imagine your backgroud.
Even joke sake dont write you are old and feeble and sign for it-- i know you are strong enough and by now you might have evn set your TV back to order. We expect it. youmaynot need to lift it-- only pcb to be turned aside and areplace a chip--

spl regards and good health
 

audioguru

Well-Known Member
Most Helpful Member
I was amazed at all the dust and dirt inside my 8 years old TV. After cleaning it I was covered in dust and dirt. I lifted my 32" TV into its position by myself 8 years ago but now I can hardly slide its stand across the carpet. I doubt if I can lift it now.
I am 62.
 

Roff

Well-Known Member
audioguru said:
I was amazed at all the dust and dirt inside my 8 years old TV. After cleaning it I was covered in dust and dirt. I lifted my 32" TV into its position by myself 8 years ago but now I can hardly slide its stand across the carpet. I doubt if I can lift it now.
I am 62.
:DSnort!:D

I once had a neighbor who asked me to fix his TV. I took it home and opened it up. He and his wife were both smokers, and the inside had vile-smelling, fuzzy gobs of tar hanging from every wire and coating every surface. I told him I couldn't fix it.
 

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Ron H said:
:DSnort!:D

I once had a neighbor who asked me to fix his TV. I took it home and opened it up. He and his wife were both smokers, and the inside had vile-smelling, fuzzy gobs of tar hanging from every wire and coating every surface. I told him I couldn't fix it.
I quite agree, smoking kills electronics as well as the feeble minded people who do it!.
 

Sceadwian

Banned
For the 5 years or so I smoked a pack or two a day, the only thing I messed up was putting a yellow stain on one corner of my monitor which was near the ashtray.
I quit smoking, doesn't make me intelligent, neither does Nigel calling people who smoke feeble minded make it true.
If you want to comment on what it means to be a smoker, start. Smoke for a full year or two, a pack a day, none of that in the cheek puff it in and out crap that the people that want to look 'cool' do. Learn what addiction means first before you comment on it, it really makes you sound stupid. As an addict on two fronts one of which is now gone, I know.
 

Roff

Well-Known Member
Sceadwian said:
For the 5 years or so I smoked a pack or two a day, the only thing I messed up was putting a yellow stain on one corner of my monitor which was near the ashtray.
I quit smoking, doesn't make me intelligent, neither does Nigel calling people who smoke feeble minded make it true.
If you want to comment on what it means to be a smoker, start. Smoke for a full year or two, a pack a day, none of that in the cheek puff it in and out crap that the people that want to look 'cool' do. Learn what addiction means first before you comment on it, it really makes you sound stupid. As an addict on two fronts one of which is now gone, I know.
Well, I know you addressed this to Nigel, but I will be forever baffled by people who started smoking after we (society) learned what the consequences can be. The same statement goes for other addictive drugs.
 

Roff

Well-Known Member
I solved the TV problem. I went to Costco today and bought a 40 inch Sony Bravia LCD TV. Now the old one is setting in my shop, taking up valuable space. Maybe I'll tear into it when I get a chance, but probably only to salvage some parts. Or maybe I'll just take it to the dump.:(
 

Sceadwian

Banned
Ron, you have to remember, most people start smoking when they're young, they don't know better because the younger you are the less understanding you have for real world consequences especially over time. Nicotine is a stimulant to 'normal' people (it's a great rush), but once you're addicted and you start having withdrawal symptoms (a nic fit) it acts like a sedative releasing chemicals in the brain which have an instant and euphoric pleasure to them. It's also a very ritualistic thing and it's a comforting and enjoyable thing to do. It took me many unsuccessful tries to quit and although quiet painful (I still had nic fits 6 months after my last smoke) it was well worth being able to breath easily again, having a sense of smell again is a good thing too :)

Understanding that drugs especially over time alter your brain chemistry and eventually behavior. People that have never been an addict can never understand what it's like to be an addict, it's physically impossible for them to understand the 'craving' sensation. It's strong enough to cause even intelligent people continue doing something which they know will eventually lead to degraded health or death. There's a big genetic propensity for addiction as well that isn't overly understood, some people get hooked on the chemicals the brain itself generates under various circumstances. Adrenaline junkies for instance.
 
Last edited:

HiTech

Well-Known Member
ljcox said:
Ron,
I've fixed a few TVs in my time.

Also check the Vert output transistor with a multimeter.

If you can't find anything by the above, then you will have to turn it on and measure the voltage rails, often you will find one low or zero.
I can assure you that there's a vert out chip in there and not discrete transistors. This has been the case with Mits sets for a good many years now. The vertical circuit in Mits sets are simple and you can easily diagnose them by looking up the chip in a cross ref. directory for the pinouts and their function. Deduce the circuit from there. About the only other problem associated with the chip may be no +B to it from the secondary supply that's often generated from the flyback Xformer. Most Mits vertical problems can be repaired in under a half hour. Mitsubishi tv's are fairly straight forward to service and their vertical section and power supply are easy to get working again. It's their video and chroma processing & PIP sections that gets a bit hairy! Chances are I have 3 or 4 of the output chips your set uses in my parts cabinet!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

EE World Online Articles

Loading
Top