Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My reciever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doofster

We had cheap reciever for cheap ceiling speakers my parents had installed about 20 years ago. I hooked up these old speakers to the newer reciever. Well there was about 10 speakers so i blew the reciever. I was unschooled in the load capablities of recievers. (I largely still am) I'm wondering what I damaged when that little wisp of smoke came from my reciever so that if this is an isolated electronic component, i can replace it and save myself some cash. Replys would be appreciated.

most probably you blew up the power amplifier transistor/IC of your receiver and this happened due to 10 speakers which are most probably connected in parallel. If each speaker is of 8 Ohm just think how much equivalent impedance be in parallel? that would come to 0.8 Ohms and this will draw excess current from amp. thereby blowing it.

Totally agree that the final power transistors are toast. Before replacing these transistors and trying again, you should figure out a little about the speakers. What impedance they are - do they have a little transformer on them - how are they wired together? As to your fried receiver, is it a stereo device? The 10 speakers were probably one circuit instead of two if they are 20 years old. You probably will need to rewire the speakers into 2 channels/circuits of approximately 8 ohms each - depending on your receiver. (bet you didn't want to hear that)

As to fixing the receiver, I would pay for an analysis and estimate for repair before doing anything unless you are experienced at trouble-shooting. If it is only the power transistors that blew, you can replace them easily. They are usually silver, mounted on a heat sink (metal bracket with cooling fins), about the size of a quarter, have a white gue underneith, and mount with two sheet metal screws. If the thing is totally gone, be sure your next receiver has a protection circuit to prevent this problem.

depending on the manufacturer of your receiver, the output stage could be some hybrid IC that you will not find that easily. For example, Technics and Panasonic use their own ICs while Sony uses mostly STK series which are (easily) available.

:idea: You could ask in some repair shops how much would you get for your receiver and also how much would it cost you to repair it.
:idea: If the repair price + value you get when you sell it for parts is equal to, or more, than a new receiver, I don't see much point in repairing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back