Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My new Pic Developement Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
some boards I have done

This is using the PULSAR method with printer density set at 5
These came out nice.
Working on a daughter board w/ LCD to make a simple daughter board to try out the different density setting and hopefully no smudges.
need to find a better method to show a ribbon cable connection between two jacks

Attachments

• critter boards 7.JPG
    critter boards 7.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 165
  • jack connections.PNG
    jack connections.PNG
    40.7 KB · Views: 163
Hey i have that green foil and HATE it. its useless for smaller traces . I mean if the traces are close. It tends to melt and merge together. So i dont use it anymore. I etch using toner alone.I might consider putting it on after etching.

I wonder if the white foil is the same?

EDIT:

What are you using for PCB schem/board software

Last edited:
This is using the PULSAR method with printer density set at 5
These came out nice.

Hi,

Can I ask what program you are using to create the pcb design ?

Don't know if its the way you are using it or the confines of the program itself but things like the holes in the IC pads look uneven etc.

There are other good free pcb design programs around like Eagle ...

Other then color the difference between the white and green foil is granularity. The green foil will give finer detail. The white is more apt to bridge.

How much spacing did you have between traces when it bridged ? Could it be that extra passes through the laminator were squishing out the actual toner and making it wider ? I ask this because the green foil does not like to bridge.

Hey Mr.DEB check this out. Its Rev2 of my Image Viewer. It has 20 vias. Can you imagine the pain it is to solder wires through each via by hand. Not only soldering it by hand but drilling 60 HOLES by hand. Its a PAIN!!! heh

rv2-jpg.48706

Attachments

• rv2.jpg
    rv2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 230
I was doing the same thing. It is easy to go wild with the laminator. Frank at pulsar told me the foil only needs to be laminated once.

It is easy to do a test for squish. Make small tests boards and measure the line expansion for 3 4 5 passes.

using expresspcb
your board has 20 vias!
can you post your schematic.
looking at your board pattern I think the # of vias is too high. IMO
I tried eagle but the learning curve is kinda high. I have better things to do than learn a new way to draw PCboards.

Sure, i attached the image.

If i could do plated through holes i might have only about 2-3 vias lol

Attachments

• schemRV2.png
    schemRV2.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
here is my PDB-40

Here is the PCboard design I used for the board I posted. It only has 15 via's
One reason for so many is due to the headers.
On using the green foil, I found that only taping one end to copper clad works better. Same with the PULSAR paper.
I run the board through the laminator about 6-8 times in different directions.
COOL down with water before removing either the paper or the foil.
as for small boards. I made some 1x2 adapter boards for connecting to the JUNEBUG. This is where I tried making a .006 trace. ONLY for the heck of it. Just wanted to see if I could. The traces for the actual circuit were .020

Attachments

• pc board PDB.PNG
    pc board PDB.PNG
    58.4 KB · Views: 150
This is the closest thing to a 40pin board i have. It has no extra stuff but at least its ready for ISCP, Optional Crystal and Caps, Optional Power LED, 8 VDD and 8 GND pins for use. I need to add MCU Caps only but still its basic as it gets heh..

Single sided too.

Attachments

• 40pin.jpg
    40pin.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 132
schematic for your Rev2 of Image Viewer?
your 40 pin programing board looks good except for the 90 degree connection and no reason to go between pins on the GRD.
I try and avoid going between pins if at all possible.
Planning on doing another PDB-40 if my LCD daughter board comes out better.

Hi Atomsoft / 3v0

Hope Mr. Deb will excuse me crashing in again ..

Re your comments about HP printers - well seems the 1006 is obselete over here replaced by the 1102, but trying to find anyone with stock - all out.
By chance found this one advertised locally, very old but in great condition with a genuine cartridge and working perfectly.

The quality, 600dp, is great and it sticks to the copper board like you know what.
Equally good results with UV, though for both I still need a couple more practice goes to get them perfect.
The speckles on the iron on image is the remains of the transfer paper not holes.

You can see what the HP looks like at medium density compared to the printer I was trying to use on the right which was at its max density settings.

OK at 16 years old its in the laps of the gods as to how long it will last, but not bad for £10 / $15 .. thanks to your advice.

Attachments

• 4p.jpg
    4p.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 135
  • den.jpg
    den.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 138
  • PCB.jpg
    PCB.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 135
Status
Not open for further replies.