Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My New PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

matk95

Hi here are some pics of my New PC! :)

Built it for a total of about £675

Untitled.jpg

Inside the Case

23.jpg

And again

qw.jpg

Front of the case

sdf.jpg

Side of the case

More info:

AMD Quad 3GHz CPU Over clocked slightly at 3.6GHz

Gigabytes latest motherboard with the new AMD chipset

On-board 5.1 sound

ATI Radon 1GB memory with the GPU clocked at 750MHz and the memory at 550 MHz

1TB UF 3 Layer Hardrive

54MB wireless card

4GB memory at 1456MHz (slightly OC)

System runs at around 25-30 oC idle and about 45-55 under max load

Got 6 quiet cooling fans in the case and a modified CPU cooler

So far its runing like a dream and playes all my games very well :) :D

forgot to mention that it has windows 7 and a 23inch monitor in case you where wondering about the price :)

realy? :eek:

You should get a fan for it, is it a laptop because they usually have very high temps, my laptops motherboard died because of heat and overuse then again i did leave it on for a long time and very rare for me to shut it down :D

Nice. Ive got almost the same setup but with a 3 GHz processor and 1.4 TB of hard drives. Plus all that other stuff seems to match what my operating system whatchamacallit screen says or at least it looks like similar numbers anyway. :)

I'm not a computer guy or into games.

But I do know my two 30 inch HD LCD monitors are wonderful for reading the fine print on ETO! :D

Those temps are good... mine runs the same until gaming pumps thing up. You should arrange those wires neater to provide for increased airflow. Believe it or not I think that took more time on my PC build than installing the hardware! And to be even pickier what's with that ivory disk player in a black tower!!!! Doood, you're not getin' a Dell!

Quite interesting as my pc runs at 70C at idle:eek:
Yipes! :eek: Is there quality thermal paste on the CPU and GPU heatsinks? Are the fans arranged to pull in cool air and exhaust warmed air? Is your CPU heatsink properly mated to the die? Your PC is on the road to a shortened lifespan. Can you set fan control to System Managed setting? Remember that cool air is heavier and gets drawn in at the tower's bottom and should be exhausted at the top of the case for best results since warm air rises.

As HiTech says your computer inst going to last you very long like that most computers come with just one fan at the back and a cpu fan but this is no match for the heat from moden comps,

Try cleaning all the dust and then use the BIOS or speedfan to set you fans to faster speeds i would buy a new fan as well there only about a £5 and easy to put in.

I used rubber mounting so there quiet

the white cd/dvd drive is there while a wait for my black 24X dvd drive needed a drive to put windows on though, i might rig up some blue led strips over the xmas holls while i have the time off school :)

Last edited:
As HiTech says your computer inst going to last you very long like that most computers come with just one fan at the back and a cpu fan but this is no match for the heat from moden comps,

Try cleaning all the dust and then use the BIOS or speedfan to set you fans to faster speeds i would buy a new fan as well there only about a £5 and easy to put in.
Wait a minute here, are you replying to yourself?:confused: LOLOL!!!:D

AMD Quad 3GHz CPU Over clocked slightly at 3.6GHz
I'd hardly call 20 percent slight! Although the bus speed is generally more important than CPU for overall system performance, for the amount you're overclocking and the additional risk it brings to premature failure and CPU errors, it's not worth even at 20%.

All the talk is pointless anyways without benchmarks. What's 675 of your current in US currency anyways I'm not sure of what currency you stated.

Last edited:
Remember that cool air is heavier and gets drawn in at the tower's bottom and should be exhausted at the top of the case for best results since warm air rises.
I use P4 2.4GHz and the BIOS temperature spec.s:
->70-73C from BIOS on idle
->Warning temp. range allowed: 50C-70C
->Shutdown temp. allowed: 60C-75C
I've detached top tower fan because making loud sound :eek:
No idea how much it goes up to on load. No monitoring s/w installed :eek:
Is this a safe condition to operate? :eek:

Just measured my PC temps and the CPU is 36°C, MOBO is 35°C, GPU is 44°C, HDD is 28°C. Those temps are considered to be normal and in good range. Even if I game which is intensive on GPU and CPU/Mem it never climbs into the 70s C. Perhaps you can install high volume flow fans that are still quiet. 120mm fans work well to move a lot of air quietly. Small fans are typically noisy. Get a new heatsink on your CPU that uses heat pipes to efficiently draw away heat.

Nice computer!
sorry for the hijack but just a question, will I notice a difference in speed if i significantly lower the temperature inside my comp?

And I'm pretty sure I need a new comp.....

Attachments

• DSC07077.JPG
    DSC07077.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 168
Just measured my PC temps and the CPU is 36°C, MOBO is 35°C, GPU is 44°C, HDD is 28°C. Those temps are considered to be normal and in good range. Even if I game which is intensive on GPU and CPU/Mem it never climbs into the 70s C. Perhaps you can install high volume flow fans that are still quiet. 120mm fans work well to move a lot of air quietly. Small fans are typically noisy. Get a new heatsink on your CPU that uses heat pipes to efficiently draw away heat.
Thanks. I re-applied the thermal paste so it became cool a bit -now 60C at idle:D
On close verification I found a crack(1 heatsink lock) and imbalance on the cpu cooling system that need to be replaced soon:(

Bit hijacked the new pc thread :confused:

Jake you need to buy more memory, and possible a new video card. The temperature in your case won't effect performance in the slightest. Don't know what OS you're using by even XP won't run well on 512 megs of memory. I wouldn't use a machine nowdays without at least 2 gig of memory. Memory is pretty cheap nowdays so it'd be the best performance upgrade you can get.

Thanks. I re-applied the thermal paste so it became cool a bit -now 60C at idle:D
On close verification I found a crack(1 heatsink lock) and imbalance on the cpu cooling system that need to be replaced soon:(

Bit hijacked the new pc thread :confused:
Ooooh that'll cause high temps for sure! The heatsink must mate solidly to the CPU die. When you replace that clip check the thermal paste and make sure you applied the bare minimum and I mean a tiny tiny amount. Over time the paste will smooth out and you don't want it creeping onto the CPU pins. What therpal paste did you use? I hope it's not the stuff used for general electronics like silicon or that white Z-9 paste. Arctic Silver is the best and just by itself can drop temps by degrees.

A test that you can do is this: thoroughly clean both CPU die and heat sink die face. Place a tiny amount of paste on the CPU die and spread it evenly to cover just the die itself. It should be so thin that you can almost read any printing or see the shiny die. Now CAREFULLY place the heatsink and lock it down. Remove the heatsink assy. and note any areas on it where the paste didn't transfer. If so you need to "lap" that surface on the heatsink so it contacts the CPU die perfectly. DO NOT LAP the CPU die surface. This little trick is mainly for purists looking to lower temps as much as possible. I did it to both my CPU and GPU dies. Before and after tests showed a drop of near 2-3°. Not much I agree, but when you add that amount to other cooling efforts in a PC case they all add up.

Nice computer!
sorry for the hijack but just a question, will I notice a difference in speed if i significantly lower the temperature inside my comp?

And I'm pretty sure I need a new comp.....
As already stated temps won't improve PC speed. High temps will lock up a 'puter forcing it to be restarted not to mention component stresses. If you purchase more RAM, make sure you get matching stick that are matching brand and timings. You could use what's already in the PC but you run the risk of the MOBO/BIOS not liking the mix and match method. You can go to www.crucial.com and use their memory finder applet to determine the maximum RAM for your MOBO. It will detail the specs on what memory type to install. Ig you can run 2gigs then by all means install that. You will notice smoother operation. Also make sure your PC is running clean, meaning erroneous files or processes, nonsense or nuisance pgms. are either removed or disabled. That alone can speed things up amazingly. Many service processes do not need to be enabled when Windows starts up.

Ooooh that'll cause high temps for sure! The heatsink must mate solidly to the CPU die. When you replace that clip check the thermal paste and make sure you applied the bare minimum and I mean a tiny tiny amount. Over time the paste will smooth out and you don't want it creeping onto the CPU pins. What therpal paste did you use? I hope it's not the stuff used for general electronics like silicon or that white Z-9 paste. Arctic Silver is the best and just by itself can drop temps by degrees.

A test that you can do is this: thoroughly clean both CPU die and heat sink die face. Place a tiny amount of paste on the CPU die and spread it evenly to cover just the die itself. It should be so thin that you can almost read any printing or see the shiny die. Now CAREFULLY place the heatsink and lock it down. Remove the heatsink assy. and note any areas on it where the paste didn't transfer. If so you need to "lap" that surface on the heatsink so it contacts the CPU die perfectly. DO NOT LAP the CPU die surface. This little trick is mainly for purists looking to lower temps as much as possible. I did it to both my CPU and GPU dies. Before and after tests showed a drop of near 2-3°. Not much I agree, but when you add that amount to other cooling efforts in a PC case they all add up.
Thank you HT for your detailed response regarding CPU cooling..;)

As you suggested, I've replaced the lock mechanism with new one by keeping the Intel original heatsink and fan. It mates solidly to the CPU die. Now the temperature is on range of around 60°C. I've re-installed the top tower fan. Everything is OK now.

According to one hardware guy's opinion, the CPU temperatures will vary with processor type and from laptop to desktop. As for laptops it'll be on range of 30-40°C because they're designed for much less power consumption for running on batteries, while for desktops it can be 50°C and more ;)

You are correct. There are many variables that affect case temperatures. Everything from wiring/ribbon cables lrouting, to front/rear/side/top panel air louvers comes into play when trying to keep temps to minimums. Just use logic when it comes to airflow. Look closely at the internal arrangement of your PC case and you may discover how you can rearrange internal parts in a different manner to improve air flow. The idea is to pull in cool air and exhaust it quickly. There are plenty of srticles on the net detailing that topic. I've even modded ATX pwr. supply fans that exhausted their heated air right onto an already hot CPU!! What are these companies thinking?!?!? What kind of engineers is this world producing? :(

Nice. Ive got almost the same setup but with a 3 GHz processor and 1.4 TB of hard drives. Plus all that other stuff seems to match what my operating system whatchamacallit screen says or at least it looks like similar numbers anyway. :)

I'm not a computer guy or into games.

But I do know my two 30 inch HD LCD monitors are wonderful for reading the fine print on ETO! :D

Hi all, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back