Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My iPod audio amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

transistor495

Forum Supporter
Hi guys,

Here's some pictures of my iPod amp I built a year ago. It's based on a very simple circuit based on Toshiba TA7368P IC which works well at a supply range of 2v-9V providing around 1W max. I used 4 x AA 700mAh rechargeable batteries. Everything built inside a telephone surge protection box and the unit can be charged just like a mobile phone. Charger use LM317.

The driver is an 8Ω,3" full range speaker(Panasonic) that has good over all frequency response. However I used an extra tweeter piezo driver(without parallel coil) inside the assembly box for high frequency clarity..:)

Attachments

• IMG0010A.jpg
    IMG0010A.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG0011A.jpg
    IMG0011A.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG0013A.jpg
    IMG0013A.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 266
  • img0016ar.jpg
    img0016ar.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 286
  • img0019ar.jpg
    img0019ar.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 375
  • img0020ay.jpg
    img0020ay.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 684
It looks nice but does it sound nice?

The datasheet for the Japanese amplifier IC shows that its output power at clipping into 8 ohms with a 4.8V supply is only 0.18W, not 1W.

A tiny 3" speaker is a tweeter, not a full range speaker. It will not produce bass frequencies.

A piezo tweeter has resonances that makes it sound like a whistle, not like a tweeter.

Audioguru.is right (as usual) there is much you can do to improve the sound quality.However I 'm NOT critisising your work.I've built a stereo amp for mp3 playback (at the moment I;m using it to play via the 2 rear speakers in my Volvo)allthough Uncle scrooge(my best friend) doesn't like the TDA 2003 IC,I've used them in my amp.& the sound quality is excellent,plus it does not need a pre-amp.The signal from the mp3 player is more than adequate for satisfactory results.you can populate the components on a small peice of strip board,& use a 2200uF Cap to save space.If you want the circuit let me know. tblo163

The TDA2005 or TDA7240A have 3.3 times more output power than a TDA2003 amplifier IC because they are bridged. They are modern car radio amplifiers.

Power output is not the key..

It sounds nice as it looks. Not any punching bass but it produces low frequency 'booom' and high notes well. I love its smooth performance.

I have a STK4141 and LA4508 units but now rarely use it.

Made just for hearing while napping when I got irritated by the earphones :)

Hi Transistor,
I think you posted some "music" from India. It had no bass frequencies.
Your music is very different from our music. Even the instruments are very different.

Hi AG,
It's all depends on particular regions and tastes.

I still play MCMXC a.D through my little iPod amp though. Good for sleep :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back