Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My Halloween project - timer circuit? Anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2000boxster

I have a Halloween project that I need help with. I have already built the entire project, with the exception of a decent way to trigger this thing!

Basically, this little 'project' is a wooden coffin that is painted up to look very old, and it is going to be leaning up against a tree as a prop for Halloween. Inside the wooden box is a solenoid that 'knocks' on the inside of the coffin, like someone is trying to get out! In addition, there are lots of "Help me!" sounds coming from a set of powered PC speakers inside the box. So basically, it sounds like someone is yelling and knocking to get out of the coffin....

Now, I have a 110V plug hanging out of the back of this thing that powers everything inside. I also have two pairs of wires coming out of the back. If I close the first pair, the "Help me!" sounds begin, and stay on only while the pair is closed. When I close the second pair, the solenoid 'knocks' once.

What I am looking for is a way of making this into a 'pushbutton' application. I would like to just close a pushbutton switch and release. This would cause the sounds to begin and run for a few seconds, and there would be some random knocks from the solenoid.

So, basically what I am looking for is 2 separate circuits. One circuit would energize the whole thing for ~5-10 seconds. The other circuit (which would actually be activated by the first circuit) would cause the random knocks.

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate them. I probably could have built this thing 10 years ago when I was working with electronics in college, but I haven't worked on anything like this in years!

Thanks!

Halloween project

Hello again, I found a circuit this morning on the web that I built this evening and it works pretty good for what I need. I am still looking for a way of randomizing the knocks though. Anbody have any ideas? All I need is a circuit that, while energized, will provide a random sequence of highs and lows to a relay. Actually, I guess it could simply be a preset sequence that just 'seems' random. If anyone has an idea, I would appreciate it!

Regards,

just a suggestion, you coul use a counter and triugger the different effects in a specific order.
o, and an nice thing is if you can make it so that it triggers when you pass by it :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back