Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

musical bell

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagtoby

My current battery operated (6 to9V) musical doorbell has a pre selected song tunes. Now, I would like to have a change with my own liking tunes/songs to be played for 20 to 25 secs only, whenever push button is pressed. Preferably, I would like the best quality of sound output and not too much complicated circuit.

Some ideas please....

No, the songs in your doorbell are stored on a ROM, you can't re-program it.

well you can make a circuit that operates bells. you may have amazing quality and fairly simple circuit. question is how many bells you want. simple tunes can be done with only 3 or 4 bells. if you want bell orchestra that plays rachmaninov, that will be a bit more complicated (you will need more memory).
basic idea is to produce some sort of ROM (could be clock, one set/reset flip-flop and a button, counter/decoder, series of dip switches, transistor array driving coils that trigger bells).
if you have MCU skill, you could put everything into a lookup table and this is what these melody chips all do. only they produce sound by synthesis while in proposed plain solution bells are real just operated by clock based circuit.
heck, you won't even need circuit, we can make this old school, just use mechanical clock mechanism or weight with pulley to run drum with columns of nails, each colum triggering one bell...

hi panic mode,
sayfor 4 bells, have you got any circuit. i would be glad to see how it can fit my application.
your other option- mechanical weight driven bell would occupy lots of space and not feasible.

The bells could take up some space by themselves, if you need quite low notes. Would be a nice solution though, quite an attention getter.

I think you want "tunes", but you could get a basic (cheap) mp3 player, load some song clips onto it and hack it to trigger them with the bell. You'd naturally need amplification etc too.

Some how, I don't think this is a real doorbell, I think it consists of a melody generator IC connected to a speaker, if so there is no way to reprogram it. The best you could do is replace it with another chip possibly a PIC but you should ask Nigel about that, PICs aren't my thing.

Hero999 said:
Some how, I don't think this is a real doorbell, I think it consists of a melody generator IC connected to a speaker, if so there is no way to reprogram it. The best you could do is replace it with another chip possibly a PIC but you should ask Nigel about that, PICs aren't my thing.

You could always check the October 2005 EPE magazine?, it has a PIC based audio playback device (actual project intended for hallowen!) that uses a 24LC512 to store about 6 seconds of reasonable quality audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back