Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

music anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jberger

I am trying to complete a "honey-do" project and she is really putting on the pressure. lol I need to hook up outside speakers in the deck area. I am using two Presidian speakers. 5" woofers, 1/2" tweeters, 50 watts max. Frequency response: 65Hz-20kHz Impedance: 8ohms. She wants to be able to use the I-Pod as the source of music. What would be the best way to hook this up? We do not have a receiver or anything else to run it through. Could I purchase a power converter and hook it to a car stereo with cassatte and play it that way? For those of you who are probably rolling on the ground laughing, please remember, I am a novice and under pressure!! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and I look forward to your reponse.

Welcome to the forum!

What's your budget for this? If it's not that high you might want to check out the local Salvation Army, Value Village, or similar for used stereo power amps. You can often pick up something which works fine for a simple use like this for a song.

Of course, I have no idea where you live. You really should fill in your location in your User CP so we know where you are--it's an international forum and it helps us know what kinds of shops etc. to recommend.

Anyway, good luck!

Torben

Last edited:
Could I purchase a power converter and hook it to a car stereo with cassatte and play it that way?

Don't worry! The payment is the better part of the Honey-Do Projects. Is only a 1 day party? How big? Outdoors? Indoors? How far from an wall outlet?

I think the power amp's consumption would drain the battery too fast. Get an old car stereo from a junkyard, make sure cassette deck is working, as your plan says. Power it up with a car 12V battery on party's site, you can post a picture of the wiring and I can tell you how.

If you give more details about the use, and the equipment (old or new) you have laying around, we can think about a plan.

Last edited:
The speakers will be mounted to my deck area. We will want to use them all summer (approx. 5-6mos. in Minnesota) My question is: What is a cheaper way to utilize an I-Pod as the source of the music? What can I dock it to? We use the I-Pod in the car cassette deck now. So thought I could just use a good working car cassette deck in the house. How do I power it? Or is there a way better option? I'm probably making this way more difficult than it needs to be. Thanks!

I agree with Torben. Catch a $5 or $10 receiver from a thrift store. Get a 1/8" (3.5mm) to RCA cable. I assume you have speaker wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back