Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

multiplexing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xoll

Hello
I'm doing a project which will display number of switches.I have 32 switches. Can I use 32:1 multiplexer that will choose the first push button to display on 7 segment?How about data selector?Do I need to set it in program?

My idea is :

switch(user push button)--multiplexer(select only push button)--micro-c(read and check)--7 segment(display)

You only need a micro-controller, it can scan the matrix of switches, 12 I/O lines required, for a 4x8 (32 switches) matrix, or for a 6x6 (36 switches).

If you want to use a PIC as your micro-controller there are examples of multi-plexing in my tutorials.

There are lots of techniques for reducing the number of I/O lines for matrixed switches. for exmple, you can use a 74HC138 (actually any 74xx138) to drive up to 8 rows using only 3 pins and then each column takes an additional pin. the '138 is a demux - you input 3 bits and it selects one of 8 outputs. the 32 (4x8) switch matrix can be done with 7 pins.

If you have spare ADC channels on your microcontroller, you can place a number of switches on a single pin using resistors. I've seen examples of 8. In theory it could go much higher...

Nigel Goodwin said:
You only need a micro-controller, it can scan the matrix of switches, 12 I/O lines required, for a 4x8 (32 switches) matrix, or for a 6x6 (36 switches).

If you want to use a PIC as your micro-controller there are examples of multi-plexing in my tutorials.
Using the N*(N-1) multiplexing scheme allows 30 switches using 6 pins, or 42 switches using 7 pins.

But since the OP is driving multiplexed 7-segment displays, he might as well use single-pin column driven switch matrices. This would require a total of 8 pins for the display (9 pins if the decimal point is required) and 4 pins for 32 switches. Now, what to do with those 3 or 4 extra pins (grin)?

Regards, Mike

Attachments

• 32 switch challenge.PNG
    32 switch challenge.PNG
    33 KB · Views: 347
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back