Multiplexing - Brightness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been curious how to calculate the maximum pulse for an LED though Nigel. I mean how much peak current can you really toss through a common white LED if you can pulse it fast enough? I mean if you can calculate the maximum energy the junction can withstand you could charge a small capacitor up to a very high voltage for some insane pulses. Something I've always been curious about, I just don't know what the real limits are. I got a bag full of LED's would be fun to see what the highest power pulse I could get out of one is for strobe photography.

Elektor did a project along these lines **broken link removed**. I can't remember the details but I seem to remember it discharged a capacitor through the LEDs to get a large current for a very short period.

Mike.

I got nothing to do today, a bag full of LED's to burn and a flash charger that will go up to 300 volts. Maybe I'll play around some =) That ring flash looks very nice, I'll book mark it. It's happening again though =O I get so any bookmarks from this website you should see what I have...

Last edited:
I was about to look at the article but it requires 10 Elektor Credits.

Do you get credits when you register with their site or do you have to purchase them? Sounds silly because I could register and find out, but I would rather not.

Silly me

Just found the magazine and the unit uses a HV unit from a disposable camera. The unit contains a 160uF capacitor that's charged to 300V. The cap is discharge into 32 white LEDs with a 470Ω 5W series resistor. From the text it states that 10 1/100th of a second flashes can be fired before you have to worry about recharging the capacitor.

Mike.

Re-reading some of the posts I got back to this one. This idea sounds more or less like placing a seperate 4511 for each 7-segment display and removing the resistors. We could then use the latch in the 4511 to make sure they're turned on all the time, thus elminating the dim LED's.
If none of the other methods work we'll probably end up doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…