Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

multiple inputs: resistor ladder vs. shift register

Best way to increase input pins to a PIC?

• Use a resistor ladder to one or more A/D pins.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use a shift register, or more than one for more inputs.

• Do something else (please post your idea!).

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
blueroomelectronics said:
My oops, it did read 887 (35.5 I/O pins) I wonder if a 1% clock is good enough for music?

hi Mike,
I think that lead water pipe is starting to kick in.!:rolleyes:

Pommie said:
The 886 (the OP's choice) has 25 I/O pins.
Bill said:
My oops, it did read 887 (35.5 I/O pins)
Bill's right - OP's choice was, and still is, the 16F887.
Hanky Spanky said:
For the first recorder robot prototype, I'm going to try to use the 16F887.

Bill said:
I wonder if a 1% clock is good enough for music?
I don't quite follow you. Are you saying frequenciy of the INT OSC can be in error of as much as 1% of the frequency to which it's set?

If so, I'd expect the only net effect of such a thing to be a slight deviation in tempo. For instance, a march at 120bpm would instead be in reality as much as 121.2bpm. Ooooo, big deal.

I am thinking ahead a bit, though. At some point when I have multiple instruments playing together, I'd like at least one to be able to take the role of conductor (music conductor, non-electronics meaning) and every now and then say, "Okay, we're at this spot in the music, synchronize your clocks accordingly."

Last edited:
Hank Fletcher said:
Bill's right - OP's choice was, and still is, the 16F887.

My apology to you and Bill, I read it wrong.:eek:

However, with a 40 pin chip there is even more reason to not use any other chips. You can do everything you need with the one chip. What language are you planning to use? If you need help with any code then just ask.

Mike.

ericgibbs said:
hi Mike,
I think that lead water pipe is starting to kick in.!:rolleyes:

LOL, Naaaah, As you probably guessed, it's more likely the dozen bottles of beer.:D

Mike.

Pommie said:
What language are you planning to use? If you need help with any code then just ask.
Thanks for the offer, I may just take you up on that! Right now, I'm still using Great Cow BASIC. Despite what seems like its perpetual beta stage, I'm finding it well suits where I am with mcus right now. It's easy, it's budget friendly, and the parts that are there (which is about 95% of what you'd expect), work really well (as oppose to it having 100% of what you'd expect to be there, working at 95%, if you know what I mean!).

I've got the big "for dummies" book of C right here, and I've worked through a bit of it a couple years ago, but I still never found it particularly easy. I was a little embarrassed when talking to a fellow teacher (who teaches tech) last week, and admitting that I wasn't really comfortable programming in assembly, but what can I do?

There's nothing work-related for me that makes it necessary, or would justify, the time it would take for me to learn the syntax and semantics of C or assembly fluently. At the same time, due to my musical/electronic interests, being somewhat savvy with MIDI in order to be able to easily translate music entered in composition software into whatever protocol I hack together with whatever robot I end up with, is another time/work factor. Sometimes I just reach the capacity of what my '286 brain can handle!

Last edited:
Hi Hank,

I have done most things, assembler, C, Basic, F16 and F18. If you can get your mechanical part working then I am sure there will be lots of people ready to help with the code (I will).

My knowledge of music is scant. My only experience is writing (what we called) music drivers for video games. This was back in the 80s and was limited to 4 tracks that consisted of note,length type data. (It later got a little more flexible in that we did stuff like vibrato, portamento and glissendo (sp?) and went upto 8 channels!)

Anyway, if you get stuck for ideas then this is the place to ask.

Mike.

Hank said:
I was a little embarrassed when talking to a fellow teacher (who teaches tech) last week, and admitting that I wasn't really comfortable programming in assembly, but what can I do?
I had to edit this bit. I had written "was" when I had meant to write "wasn't."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back