Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multimeters - Fluke or Agilent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noggin

I want to purchase a multimeter and I'm torn between Fluke 179 and Agilent U1242. My previous employer provided me with a Fluke 179 and it was a great meter, but the fuggin fuses are $40 a pop (not that I ever blew one, but I did have to order one for someone that did). The Agilent looks to be a slightly better meter with an extra couple of features that I've never had to use before. Fuses are also $10.90 each, a definite bonus.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for any other high quality handheld meters?

OMG, your avatar reminded me of my ex wife...lol
I have an HP DVM (Now called Agilent) which I am very happy with. Works and feels solid, very robust. I am real happy with mine. if Agilent has maintained HP's standards then you can't go wrong :)

If you're blowing the "expensive" fuse in the Fluke, be thankful. That big fuse is what kept the meter from exploding in your hands. Usually, Fluke and all the others use a cheap, lower-current fuse in series with a more expensive 600v industrial fuse. The big fuse only blows if you do something stupid such as checking the number of ohms in a 300A, 3-phase system. Then the little fuse blows, vaporizes the element and remains conductive, blowing the big fuse to protect your arse.

Don't know where you're getting that $40-each figure. You should be able to find the big fuse at most decent electrical supply houses.

As for brand recommendations, Fluke has an industry-standard reputation for being "bullet-proof". The only Fluke failures I've seen on anything manufactured since about 1995 have been from stupidity: dropping them from 100 feet onto concrete.

Dean

Last edited:
the price of the fluke is defenetly it's money worth

saying that if you only use it to check your car battery buy a cheap china model

it's what i do now these days

my measurements in the field doesn't have to be so accurate and the conditions for the meter are harsh so i damaged last year 3 of them (pump rooms with water and chemicals the fluke would have died also in those conditions)

there only $5 dolars here so I keep the leads and throw the meter out

i calculate it already in my qoutation as expendible for a job

Robert-Jan

The big fuse only blows if you do something stupid such as checking the number of ohms in a 300A, 3-phase system.

Most DVMs would survive without harm if the R range is used to measure voltage.

However, trying to measure voltage in a three phase system busbar with the meter on 10A current range would be a real test on the meter. Some meters don't even protect the 10A current range while others use only a small 10A fuse.

It is under this tough condition that the big fuse inside Fluke will save one's ass and prevent the meter from exploding.

For this and this safety feature alone, I'd vote Fluke.

I have to go with Fluke. I've been buying multimeters longer than the digitals have been around.....and Fluke is tops. (And you can get those fuses for about $2.50 each if you buy a box of ten.....you just have to search around a bit!)

I have a used Agilent U1242U for sale its 2 weeks old

I want to purchase a multimeter and I'm torn between Fluke 179 and Agilent U1242. My previous employer provided me with a Fluke 179 and it was a great meter, but the fuggin fuses are $40 a pop (not that I ever blew one, but I did have to order one for someone that did). The Agilent looks to be a slightly better meter with an extra couple of features that I've never had to use before. Fuses are also $10.90 each, a definite bonus.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for any other high quality handheld meters?

I have a slightly used U1242U for sale its 2 weeks old my old meter was in the shop for repairs and I needed something fast so I ordered this one I paid $200 I will sell it for $150.00 + Shipping and paypal fees. I would be more then happy to list it on my ebay site where I have over +1500 feedback.

Well, I have a few extra days to mull it over. My direct deposit was messed up and my "fun money" account didn't get its allowance.

I'll be using the meter professionally as an electrical engineer, mostly digital design, some opamp stuff. I don't know that I have to have something as nice as the Fluke, but I'm tired of buying cheap crappy ones that are not auto ranging, don't do continuity, limited to 100 mA... I want to buy one and be done with it. And later on, I may pick up a USB o-scope.

Thanks for the responses.

Well, I have a few extra days to mull it over. My direct deposit was messed up and my "fun money" account didn't get its allowance.

I'll be using the meter professionally as an electrical engineer, mostly digital design, some opamp stuff. I don't know that I have to have something as nice as the Fluke, but I'm tired of buying cheap crappy ones that are not auto ranging, don't do continuity, limited to 100 mA... I want to buy one and be done with it. And later on, I may pick up a USB o-scope.

Thanks for the responses.

Fluke is overrated IMO. I have an old BK precision 5380 and I just had the selector switch fail. I called BK and they sent me an old meter to take the old switch off of. Great service and a very accurate meter. Like I said I purchased the agilent to fill the gap until the parts arrived to fix my old one. I have to tell you the Agilent is very fast with its readings and very accurate. I actually like it alot but I dont need two meters. I did alot of research and I could not find a fluke product in the same price range that did what the agilent does. Alot of people dont know agilent they are part of the HP group and are very well respected meters.

I have a slightly used U1242U for sale its 2 weeks old my old meter was in the shop for repairs and I needed something fast so I ordered this one I paid $200 I will sell it for $150.00 + Shipping and paypal fees. I would be more then happy to list it on my ebay site where I have over +1500 feedback.

Would warranty transfer as well? If so, consider it sold. $50 off a 2 week old device would swing my decision. How much would paypal fees be?

Would warranty transfer as well? If so, consider it sold. $50 off a 2 week old device would swing my decision. How much would paypal fees be?

I dont know if the warranty is transferable. I did purchase it from Electrosonic they are a large electronics supply house here in Canada. I would be more then happy to send it to them if there was any issues with the meter in the future. I dont think Paypal fees are going to be very much. Maybe $5.00 and shipping will be around $24.00 for 3-6 days with insurance and tracking to most States in the USA.

Chris

Agilent's Warrantee Terms
Customer´s Product warranty is transferable upon Agilent´s receipt of written notification. Such notification must include the serial number, model number and the name, address and location of transferee and the transferee must agree in writing to Agilent´s warranty terms.

Looks like it'll transfer. Shipping will be to Austin Texas. I need to run to the grocery store. If you post it in eBay now, please PM me a link. I'll buy it when I get back if you have it posted by then.

Good discussion.

I'm always breaking these cheap meters. My truck seems to get to hot lcd separation or calibration problems. Anyway I now know where to buy a meter and the one I want.

Maybe I can get more reliability.

Good topic ;)

kv:D

Edit: Oh by the way I'm not going to try to buy your meter you want either.

Ebay sometimes is a good place to shop though.

Last edited:
I would buy the Fluke.

Oh, and you are buying the wrong fuse. Go to Fluke.com, look up the Fluke Part # for the replacement fuse (NOT what is printed on the fuse itself). Then go to Digikey, and search for the FLUKE part number (again, not the Bussman part number on the fuse itself). It will pull up the fuse which is five bucks and change. I had to go through this a month ago with my Fluke 177 (which I love).

ETA: This is the Fluke recommended replacement fuse for the 175/177/179 series. It's 5.95.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=614-1083-ND

If you search for the Bussman fuse part number, you find the $35 or $40 version. No difference, except I think there's a -B on the Fluke replacement part. Otherwise identical.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think I checked Fluke's website for the PN as it was clearly printed on the label, i just bought it from an online supplier. It was company money so it was cheaper for me to buy it quickly than to buy it cheaply.

Anyway, I've paid for Chris' meter. I was very happy with the Fluke meter where I used to work, but the Agilent is $50 cheaper, only 2 weeks used, a very respectible brand, has a couple of extra functions, more screen updates per second, and more counts. The ONLY worry I have now is that with my Fluke 179 I could wrap the leads neatly around the meter and they would pop into the lead holder on the back of the meter quite nicely. Not too loose, and not too tight. Hope I can do the same on the Agilent.

Next item to buy is a nice calculator so I can stop using window's calc program for everything and one day in the future, a USB o-scope. My wife is a math grad student... I should gank one of her half dozen TI's.

Like I said before. I have an HP meter and it works flawless. I only use it for my important stuff as I have about 5 cheapy meters in my toolbox and I would rather blow one of those up than my nice HP. Since Agilent is HP, I would hope they maintained HP's high standards towards quality test gear.

BTW, for my real gen purpose meter I have an old radioshack pocket meter. Looks like a logic probe. I find it real handy as it is so compact :)

Yeah, I don't think I checked Fluke's website for the PN as it was clearly printed on the label, i just bought it from an online supplier. It was company money so it was cheaper for me to buy it quickly than to buy it cheaply.

Anyway, I've paid for Chris' meter. I was very happy with the Fluke meter where I used to work, but the Agilent is $50 cheaper, only 2 weeks used, a very respectible brand, has a couple of extra functions, more screen updates per second, and more counts. The ONLY worry I have now is that with my Fluke 179 I could wrap the leads neatly around the meter and they would pop into the lead holder on the back of the meter quite nicely. Not too loose, and not too tight. Hope I can do the same on the Agilent.

Next item to buy is a nice calculator so I can stop using window's calc program for everything and one day in the future, a USB o-scope. My wife is a math grad student... I should gank one of her half dozen TI's.

I cant stress this enough the Fluke 179 is CRAP compared to this meter :) You will be very happy I have to say that the Agilent I am sending you is one of the fastest meters I have ever used. It takes less time to do more readings. My other meter a BK precision 5380 is very very accurate but not as fast as the Agilent. And yes it does have clip holders in the back just like the Fluke IMO fluke is the most over rated company on the planet. I love Agilent and Bk precision I just purchased a 5892 Bk and its also a great meter. I know you will be happy.

Chris

If you search for the Bussman fuse part number, you find the $35 or $40 version. No difference, except I think there's a -B on the Fluke replacement part. Otherwise identical.

No difference?

If you talk with anyone working in the power industry, they will tell you about the four important features of a simple looking fuse.

a. physical size
b. current carrying capacity
c. operating speed
d. fault interruption capacity

It is the last one that is of vital importance in this case to save one's life when a fuse is used as a protection on a current range of a DVM.

Satisfy yourself that the replacement fuse has the same fault interruption capacity of the original design.

Otherwise, if one never has to work anywhere near AC power, control center or busbar, a replacement fuse is fully justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back