Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multimeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

irisd

Hi
I am new to electronics. I would like to know if it is possible to find out if a battery is working or dead using just a multimeter? If yes, then how can we do that?

One more question, for someone has to start microcontroller projects, what is the best way to start?

Thanks

Do some research yourself. You won't get a lot of responces to questions like this because even a few minutes of research using Google, or Wikipedia will give you the answers.

irisd said:
Hi
I am new to electronics. I would like to know if it is possible to find out if a battery is working or dead using just a multimeter? If yes, then how can we do that?

One more question, for someone has to start microcontroller projects, what is the best way to start?

Thanks

Yes a multimeter will tell you if a battery is dead or not but not necessarily how much capacity is left. Some battery types like nickle cadmium have a very quick drop off when nearing their end of capacity, where others like lead acid have a near linear drop off of terminal voltage Vs remaining capacity.

Also measuring the battery voltage while it is actually supplying the load is more reliable then reading the battery voltage while disconnected.

2nd Q, there are many many ways to get started but you will have to supply more information to get a useful suggestion. What software language do you wish to use? How much money are you willing for an inital investment? What type of applications or problems do you wish to work on?, etc, etc, etc..

Lefty

Last edited:
Thank u.
Information was helpful.

I want to use BASIC and not spend a lot of money (budget is somewhere around $100-$200). I want to first build a basic microcontroller development kit for my future projects.

Last edited:
Sceadwian said:
Do some research yourself. You won't get a lot of responces to questions like this because even a few minutes of research using Google, or Wikipedia will give you the answers.

I searched the internet for the multimeter usage, couldn't get an answer for this specific question.

The AVR Dragon programming board is about 52 dollars from Digikey, but it does require a minimum of soldering header connectors onto the board. You can fill out the rest of your 100-200 dollar budget on AVR chips and discrete components and breadboards for real circuits. You can program AVR's with SRAM using basic C or ASM. I'd highly discourge using Basic as it's great for getting quick results for very basic situations but will not hold out for anything more complex.

irisd said:
Thank u.
Information was helpful.

I want to use BASIC and not spend a lot of money (budget is somewhere around $100-$200). I want to first build a basic microcontroller development kit for my future projects.

Well if wanting the smallest investment and using Basic, Picaxe is something you should check out. You could spend well under $100 to get started. The PC based BASIC programmer/editor software is free. I'm having a lot of fun with my Picaxe chips.

Lefty

Or program your own PICs with the PICBASIC compiler $99
**broken link removed**

That plus a good PIC programmer like a PICkit 2 or my Junebug :)

Much faster and more flexible then a BASIC Stamp or PICAXE with a interpreter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back