Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

multimeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narmer

i would like to know why some multimeter dial has an option for 1.5 volts & 9 volts dc for measuring battries . why i just dont measure it with the stander dc and its in the multimeter dial too . so my question why wasting an 2 options on multimeter dial
thx

Possibly they are a Loaded Test, so testing with a higher current draw.

A lot of people who buy multimeters have no clue how to use them so clever multimeter manufactures make easy money by making specialized simple settings and related application specific readouts at way over priced prices for said dummies.

fluke for example, makes a outrageous fortune selling simple dummy proof multi meters (3 - 5 basic functions all autoranging) to dummies who will by them for name and near dummy proof ease of use rather than capability of their meters. :facepalm:

Battery test ranges have some load applied as the open-circuit voltage of a battery is meaningless.

I am glad that I bought my expensive Fluke multimeter many years ago and it still works perfectly today.

Most likely the responses provided by other posters are absolutely correct.
But if you provide a specific brand name and model number, perhaps there will be a web page description.

uni t ut33b / sanwa cd771 > first one has 1.5 & 9 & 12 volts check the second one has 1.5 volts battery check

well if its testing a higher current draw wouldnt be damaged when testing some 2 amp battries like 18650 or the DMM designed to handle some much current ?

"I am glad that I bought my expensive Fluke multimeter many years ago and it still works perfectly today."

That's a FLUKE !!

Battery test ranges have some load applied as the open-circuit voltage of a battery is meaningless.
Not always.
I find that the open circuit voltage of alkaline batteries gives a pretty good indication of their state of charge.

That's a FLUKE !!

Not really given most decent quality multimeters when cared for like people care for flukes will last just as long.

I have several midrange units from my college days nearing 25 years old now that still pass every calibration test I can give them despite having live service lives that nobody would put a fluke though given their cost.:rolleyes:

Hell, I think the only reason most people flukes last as long as they do si because they never get used for much given their cost. It's like people who have their fancy showing off vehicle they park out front for everyone to see, yet they rarely use, and then they have their real work beater parked out back that they actually use for any real work because it's worth so little it doesn't matter if it gets beat up any. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back