Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multimeter Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used to use a Fluke, now I use a Protek 506. True RMS even on non-sinusoidal waves, works as a data collection gizmo, backlight, lots of features.

Another meter I wind up using a lot is my RSR MS8209. Get this - in addition to volts and amps all, it has a built-in light meter, humidity sensor, sound decibel meter, and temperature gauge. This fun stuff comes in more handy than you would imagine. Instead of guessing that something's brighter than something else, or louder, or maybe humidity is a factor - you turn the selector knob and find out. And it's only $80.

Last edited:
I am still using a pre-war AVO, which is still functioning perfectly. I recently calibrated it against a Keithley meter at work and it was still very close to what the £1500 Keithkley says. I also have several cheapo DMMs i got buy1get1free from Maplin for £5, three failed within a month, the last one failed after connecting it to the mains on amps range (my fault). They don't makes things like they used to, the AVO is almost indestructable!

I had a Maplin White Gold meter it was their first ever own-branded autoranging meter from them I got my Fluke 87 MkIII after owning the Maplin meter for about 6years(!) and was surprised that the readings were exactly the same!!!
Also the Maplin meter had all the same major functions of the fluke the only thing it didn't do was sample the bargraph as quickly and it didn't have some of the more obscure features that you activate by holding buttons on power up etc.

Truly amazing meter I blew it up basically the battery cover came off and I took a mains reading while it was lay on an earthed surface :eek: Good job it wasn't in my hand!

LOL I have still got it can't let the thing go like an old sheep dog!

I also liked the look of the Metrix range they seemed to be cheaper Fluke alternatives.

@OP I think careful choice of a cheap meter can be productive go to an electronics supplier not a general hardware store though or go through ebay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back