Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multi-stage BJT amplifier design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirius Black

I am to design an amplifier using 2N4401 BJTs. The specs include having a voltage gain of (+-)100. It needs to have input resistance above 1k and low output resistance. I decided to use a Common Emitter for the first stage to get the required gain. Then follow this with a common collector to achieve my low output resistance. I have attached my design so far, and keep in mind the capacitors are only for blocking DC, I have no restrictions on the bandwidth for which my amplifier should work. My values for R1, R2 are to keep a voltage of about .66V at Vb because I assumed Ic to be 1ma and the voltage drop across Re to be .06V. Vb = Vbe(.6)+.06. For R3 and R4 I wanted Vb to be half of Vcc(12V) so that I had a large amount of room for my output voltage swing.

My questions are:

-Does this design look like I'm on the right track to designing this amplfier, if not what am I doing wrong?
-To get my 100 gain, I approximated the gain on the CE to be -Rc/Re which should be 100, is this correct to assume?
-How can I simulate my circuit in LTspice, or a similar SPICE program? I don't know my Vs, but I assume it is ac because I must meet a design spec of at least enough room for my output voltage to swing (+-)2.5V. I also don't know my load resistance.

LTspice seems to work ok for simulation. You will have to download ... https://www.linear.com/
2N4401 is already available in the parts bank.

Your first stage seems to be ok ... given certain assumptions. It may be that capacitor C2 is restricting the signal ... between the first and second transistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back