Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

multi signals on fiber optic

Status
Not open for further replies.

bean82

i am looking to send 16 signals over a fiber optic line one way and 16 signals the other way. i would like to build something to do this. if anyone has any ideas please let me know. i would like to stay away from buying something already made. :?

Since I am an analog guy, I would modulate the light with a carrier and 16 sub-carriers. At the receiving end a demodulator and 16 PLLs (phase lock loops). I assume your data is digital.

What sort of data rates are you trying to get? The easiest way would be to send the signals one after another. You just have to get the speed to be fast enough so that the latency doesn't cause a problem.

i have 16 switches on each side that have to control 16 devices on the opposite side. i dont want to run a big cable to do this so i figured i would run either fiber optic or cat 5. i am looking for the easiest solution to my problem.

This might interest you. Not fibre or cat5, but UHF. No cable required 8)
**broken link removed**

Have a look at some of their other kits too, they have a few different UHF kits.

im not looking for wireless altho thats a nice idea. im looking to do fiber optic or cat5. the wireless is to susseptable to noise. ineed to stay away from the noise do to a 5v logic.

Why not run wires? A 25 conductor cable is only 0.339 inches diameter. The simplicity and reliability surely outweighs other considerations, unless you positivly, absolutly have to get down to 2mm diameter.

Sounds like a job for a shift register.
The Holtek HT640 and HT648 encoder / decoder pair are well suited to this application.
**broken link removed** scroll down about halfway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back