Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MPLab/PK2 issue with 16F628A...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smanches

Was wondering if anyone had seen this before.

Starting a new project using a 16F628A. Selected the device in MPLab but when I select the PK2 as a debugger it says it's not seeing the correct device. But when I select the PK2 as just a programmer it finds it fine. I've used the PK2 software to verify the device and it too finds it and says it's a 16F628A.

Any idea why the PK2 as a debugger thinks it's a different device?

The 16F628A itself does not support debug. You need a special header version for that about $25 from Digikey. The similar 16F88 does have debug built in.

You have to have a adapter to debug with the pickit2 and 16f628a **broken link removed**

part - Use AC162057 ICD header & AC164110 adapter.

A more appropriate error message would have made that much easier to know.

Thanks for the replies!

smanches
A more appropriate error message would have made that much easier to know.

Hi,

Just look at the Select Devices panel when you select your chip - if shows what programmer you need and what debuggers work with it and if a header is needed down in the bottom right corner.

I'd buy a different chip that does debugging direct before messing with those debugger headers.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 232
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back