Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

motor of hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

poutpout

Hi! My third study...

I have some HD motors and according to my research, they are stepper motors. But I can't find anywhere a simple way to drive those HD motors. Any clue?

Many thanks!

Your research is wrong, they aren't stepper motors.

Mistake I made some day's ago and you also corrected me :) thanks ...

as the guide say, you can drive them easily

Code:
Coil 1 signals

..........           .......
Phase 1   .....|          |.........|

Phase 2   .....            .........
               |..........|         |.......

Coil 2 signals

........          .........
Phase 3   .|        |........|         |....
          .          ........           ....
Phase 4    |........|        |.........|

The signals can be presented also in binary format. The common sequence (1 means current flowing, 0 means open circuit):

Phase1  00110011
Phase2  11001100
Phase3  01100110
Phase4  10011001

I managed to drive few different motors, both 3, 4 and 5 wire connectors using similar technique. The main problem testing this is if you start the sequence too fast, nothing will happen (or disk motor will move left/right irrationally ) and if you start to slow, the same thing will happen. Bit's me why, probably because they are not "stepper" but "something something DC something" motors...

arhi said:
The main problem testing this is if you start the sequence too fast, nothing will happen (or disk motor will move left/right irrationally ) and if you start to slow, the same thing will happen. Bit's me why, probably because they are not "stepper" but "something something DC something" motors...
Brushless DC motor.

As I understand it the motor has to be able to rotate with the cycle rate. If the cycle rate is too much faster or slower then the motor is currently turing it will not react as expected. You need to ramp the speed(cycle rate) up and down.

Brushless DC motor.

As I understand it the motor has to be able to rotate with the cycle rate. If the cycle rate is too much faster or slower then the motor is currently turing it will not react as expected. You need to ramp the speed(cycle rate) up and down.

Yup, that's how I made it work, attached pot to the ADC input and changed the delay in regards to the ADC input. Then when I got it spinning slowly, I could easily spin it ~3000rpm. Unfortunately even when I completely finished the whole "controller" on the breadboard, I had to scrap the idea as the motors torque is so low that is completely unusable for anything I wanted to use it for ..

What gives the wrong impression that it is stepper is, when you turn it by hand, you feel the "steps", when you supply voltage to one "pair" it "steps" ...

Anyhow, with so low torque, I was unable to find any real use for them so I dumped all of them away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back