Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motor microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoamL

I recently came across an article by Roboteq named **broken link removed**.
It aims to build a PC-driven basic robot using their Roboteq controller.
While I was trying to gather the nessesary(typo) parts, I came across
the price tag of their AX2550 controller (their motor controller)- $490 dollars.
This was pretty out of my budget, and I tried to find alternatives:
* Controlling a "Dual PWM Driver for OOPic" **broken link removed** using I2C from my PC mainboard--
I wasn't sure if this can be accomplished without OOPic?
* Controlling the motors using BrainStem (note: all of them are in slave mode ofcourse)

or, plain and simple:
* Spending $490 over AX2550.

Any suggestions?

---
I am sorry as I didn't notice that a Microcontroller forum exists.
Please delete this message.

Well, there are some really nice motor driver/controllers that I've seen on this site. All are under $20, and work pretty good. Here's the link:

**broken link removed**

There's also some other really good stuff on that site!

The devices under $20 will work for small loads (<2A maybe), I believe the controller mentioned in the original post handles over 100A per channel. Have you considered building your own h-bridge? That controller has lots of features, but you may not need them all.

Check out the prices for what you are comparing......
For $490 in one hand you have:

**broken link removed**

And for $20 on the other hand you have:

**broken link removed**

So what type of motors and what you want to do with them must be what you have to look at. For a simple small 'bot you can create and use one of the H-drive controlllers that handle less than 2AMPS (Max)... if you want to do battlebot type of thing you are going to buy or create a more powerfull drives. With a $20 motor controller you control a more or less $50-$100 motor. With a $490 driver you control $500-$1000 dollar motors. So it is all relative :lol:

Ivancho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back