Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

motor encoder

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guyz i am using a dc motor with a encoder.......the problem is i have no details about the motor nor the encoder there is no part no on it

Q1) how do i calculate that how many pulses the encoder has?

Q2) what is the gear ratio of the motor ?

Q3) i am a bit confused about servo motor..............if a dc motor has a encoder feedback on it can we call it a servo motor?

Count the number of slots in the encoder disc.
If you have two opto-interupters set correctly, you will have a resolution of four times the number of pulses per revolution.

Who knows?
You will either have to dismantle the gear box and count the teeth on each gear wheel,
or,
turn the armature by hand, and count the number of turns required to turn to output shaft by one revolution.

if a dc motor has a encoder feedback on it can we call it a servo motor?
I don't know, maybe.

JimB

hi guyz i am using a dc motor with a encoder.......the problem is i have no details about the motor nor the encoder there is no part no on it

You can't because you don't know what scheme the encoder is using.

The only way to know is if the shaft can be rotated from one end and the rotations counted on the output end. Some you can and some you can't.

Q3) i am a bit confused about servo motor..............if a dc motor has a encoder feedback on it can we call it a servo motor?

The first servomotors were developed with synchros as their encoders. Much work was done with these systems in the development of radar and anti-aircraft artillery during World War II.

Simple servomotors may use resistive potentiometers as their position encoder. These are only used at the very simplest and cheapest level, and are in close competition with stepper motors. They suffer from wear and electrical noise in the potentiometer track. Although it would be possible to electrically differentiate their position signal to obtain a speed signal, PID controllers that can make use of such a speed signal generally warrant a more precise encoder.

Modern servomotors use optical encoders, either absolute or incremental. Absolute encoders can determine their position at power-on, but are more complicated and expensive. Incremental encoders are simpler, cheaper and work at faster speeds. Incremental systems, like stepper motors, often combine their inherent ability to measure intervals of rotation with a simple zero-position sensor to set their position at start-up.

Instead of servomotors, sometimes a motor with a separate, external linear encoder is used.[4] These motor + linear encoder systems avoid inaccuracies in the drivetrain between the motor and linear carriage, but their design is made more complicated as they are no longer a pre-packaged factory-made system.

They are not all called Servo Motors. A Stepper Motor can also have feedback. All the feedback is doing is telling us where the motor is position wise. The above for Q3 taken from the WIKI.

OK, you started this thread and left it hanging open. I left you with a few ideas to try and you never replied. Starting another thread on the same subject will do nothing and likely confuse those trying to help you along. You need to gain an understanding of the different methods used for encoding and decoding that motors use to send their shaft output positions or shaft rotational speed or direction. Again, did you try what I suggested as to the color codes on the motor you have?

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back