Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

motor controller from treadmill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this motor control on Amazon and it looks like it would work with my motor but would like your thoughts on it. It has a voltage on the field of 100v at a current of 1A and the armature 0-90 at 8A.

But you should confirm whether your motor is a series field (Universal) that is what the IC in the board was made for, not shunt field DC only.
Where is the link to the Amazon type?
Besides, I cannot see any connection on the TM board for a field terminal

MaxHeadRoom78 I just read your post so that control in my last post probably would not work? And, if I follow the wires I will find that the armature and field will be wired in series and if I were to hook up those two wires to me 24v supply it should run?

If in fact it is a typical Universal AC/DC series field motor, typically with that application, it would be mains voltage compatible.
But also if you wire the motor to a 24vdc or AC supply it should run OK
Did you check the other pair to see if they might be tach wires?

Just went and looked at the board again and there is a blue and a brown wire that go to terminals labeled TA1 and TA2. Didn't understand the labeling before but that must be the tack.

I agree, If you spin the motor you may see a open/closing signal on the two leads, i.e. reed switch etc.

1619373186669.png

In spite of it saying DC motor, it appears to have a laminated core for the field, which tends to point to the Universal version.
As indicated, the TDA IC normally controls a Triac which would be in the AC line, then that would be followed by the bridge rectifier in your case.
Have you tried it on LV DC?

I will go out and hook up the two black wires to my 24v DC supply or I could just use my 12v battery charger but then you say a universal motor would run on AC as well? I can probably find a low voltage AC source also.

It will be interesting to see if it runs on AC OK, at low voltage it should not hurt anything to test.

I will try it on DC because that is how I intend on using it. To bad I do not have the entire treadmill. The motor and control board are all that I have.

Did you actually hook the motor up to the board and connect a 10k pot to the three control terminals to test?

Yes and nothing happened. It did run when I first got it but then it sat for a few years and won't run now. Thought it might have been a problem with the terminals but I pulled the wires off one by one and that did not help. I don't understand why that would be. The pot wires are soldered to the board. The motor, tach and AC supply wires have lugs on them.

I assumed there was because it ran fine hooked up to my 24v supply but I will check the resistance across the wires and let you know what it is. I think I have probably taken up enough of your time today and you probably have other things you need to do so I will do some more on the motor and run a couple of errands and get back to you later. Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back