Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motor control help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

toppytop

I have this circuit attached below. I have built it identical except for the 1.5M pot. All I had was a 1M pot and I am using 18 VAC instead of 12. A couple of problems is that I have to turn the pot about 3/4 of the way until I get a response from the motor. I am using this as a speed control for a model train engine operating at 18 VAC. This other problem is it operates at low speed fairly smooth but as I increase the speed the train eventually stops and the motor just hums. I have read just about everything I could get ahold of on the internet about phase control of a triac. I have not come across how to calculate the R/C circuit for the gate control. Everything you find is for 120 VAC or 220 VAC operation. Any ideas or suggestions for 18 VAC operation. Thanks.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 288
What happens if you just connect 18VAC across the tracks? Does the loco run smoothly at high speed?

Run the pot to the point where the loco just starts to move, disconnect the pot an measure its resistance. Reinstall the pot, run it up to the point at which the loco runs fast just before it stalls. Remeasure the resistance. Report back.

Can you borrow an oscilloscope?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I will do as you suggested and report back. I do have a scope, just not real good at using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back