Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motor and LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluestyle28

I'm toying with an idea and have very little electronics knowledge. I want to hook up anywhere between 2-4 LEDs and a motor probably a simple DC motor, to operate at the same time with just the push of a button. When button is depressed LEDs go on and motor operates. When button is let go it all shuts off. I guess think of the simple light chaser toy found in the Disney Theme parks. I'm sure this is simple design depending the various attributes of the LEDs and motor. Just in need for some help.

Thanks

So when the button is pressed the LEDs go on as well as the motor. No chaser though right?

This is pretty simple, you will need a power source which will depend on the voltage needs of the motor, have any idea what kind you would be using? A small toy one or a big one?

Just ensure that the current hrough the leds doesn't exceed 20 mA by an appropiate series resistor.

formula to work out

U = I * R

where

U = voltage
I = current in amps
R = resistance in ohms

E.g. 6 volts supply, two red leds at 1.7 Volts each
6 - 3.4 = 2.6V in resistor
R = 130 ohms

U = Dutch/German code for voltage.

To answer birdman..
Yes the LEDs are stationary. But the motor goes on... Just a simple DC motor with a shaft. The motor would just be a small toy one you can pick up at a hobby store or a science surplus store. Nothing to big but something I can get a decent about of RPMs out of with load.

Thanks for the equation Rodalco.

OK..

As far as how many and what size resistors to use Do I just add up the specs from the leds and motor together then use the equation posted? Also how do I figure out the design from LEDs to resistors and motor?

This is how you will do it: The motor will be its own circuit, V+ --- motor --- ground. The leds will be in parallel but a different wire strand. Depending on the voltage you use for the motor, you will need a certain resistor which can be calculated as shown by Rodalco above.

Success!!
Thanks Bird man... You've been a huge help. If I have any more questions would there a way to ask you directly. Or just keep posting in this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back