Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Most popular microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthGuy

Have anyone seen any year-by-year data on most popular MCUs in terms of number of people who use them (I mean developers, not end users who buy products with MCU inside)?

What is the overall trend in microcontroller? There are lots of big 32-bit microcontrollers - ARM-Cortex-M4, AVR32, PIC32. Are they replacing the old 8-bit microcontrollers the same way as 32-bit PCs drove 16-bit PCs to the extinction? Or are they filling a separate niche?

Microchip says their 8-bit PIC16F are the most popular. Is this because people are slow to migrate to PIC32? Or because these 32-bit MCUs are not really needed for smaller projects, and, at the same time, inferior to embedded computers capable of running Linux for bigger projects?

I noticed that there are lots of big 8-bit controllers with rather big capabilities? Manufacturers are still making lots of them. Are these just the dinosaurs of the past soon to be extinct and outcompeted by modern 32-bit processors? Or are they here to stay because they're perfectly good for the job and people actually prefer them?

I don't think that 8 bit micro's are becoming extinct.... I have many products where a 32 bit will fit the bill but I am using the latest pic16's.... Most of my products only need a small micro...

Look at the 8051/2 from Intel.... Its as strong as it ever was... TI are churning them out in the millions.... If you need human intervention then maybe a pic32 will be better to drive the human interface, but little smart sensors and so on ( that only need a few pins ) will always be needed....

The pic16f15xx, pic16f17xx, pic16f18xx and the pic16f19xx are awesome little devices.

Don't think a coffee pot needs a 32 bit uC but if it can take your picture. Then maybe

Don't think a coffee pot needs a 32 bit uC

Yes, beware of building too much inteligence into domestic appliances...
Enjoy

JimB

Other 32 bit Micro's seem to be more used in Industry, I am a member at sil labs and I would say Except from me everyone else is a engineer, they talk about other micro's but its always 8051 or some other vendor except microchip for the 32 bit parts.
If you look are say energy micro 32 bit parts and compare them with microchip 32 bit parts, they are very different.
Not saying microchip are rubbish in the 32 bit range but they seem more towards non industry end of the spectrum. 8 bit parts are different, pics get mentioned but mainly 8051 because I think most use KEIL compiler and tools, so use the 8051 because its the same tool chain (sort of). But in many ways pics have the edge in 8 bit, they tend to have more and better peripherals.
But they are generally not as configurable.
Also at sil labs the 8051 has far more posts than 32 bit forum, so it looks like they are still used alot. But I dont think PC32 comes close to any of the ARM range like CORTEX M0,M3,M4. Plus code written for freescale is dead easy to port to any other ARM vendor or part, the pic is kind of out on its own in that respect.
These are purely my own little observations and opinion's I except they could well be wrong. I prefer ARM 32 over PIC 32, but I like pic 8 and 16 as much as 8051 but for different reason's.

The other thing that occured to me, look at the packages. Again companies like Sil Labs in the 32 bit area mainly use very tiny 112 pin BGA packages, they try and make the parts as small as they can. So they are definitely aiming at industry as it is beyond the capabilities of most non industrial setting to use 112 pin BGA at 4mm X 4mm package! even with IR soldering etc its not a home job! They do very few parts in any package that even your above average hobbyist could handle at home in a sensible manner. I dont think even there 8051 range has any DIP packages.
Microchip give the hobbyist a fighting chance, but maybe for many in industry space is king and smaller the better, so pic 32 in some ways could be too large. For energy harvest apps and battery apps energy micro has microchip by the goolies.
But then you got to have something to learn on, not just a Dev board but the chance to build actual circuits. There microchip has them by the tackle! Newbies like me can get hold of a DIP package stuffed with bits of sorts and learn different concepts with ease. In some ways I would say its apples and oranges in general, but industry ARM (especially smart phones and IOT) and the different variants, lower end industry I would say 8051. Consumer stuff etc pics.
I think 8 bit pics are easier than 8051 (only because of BSP's) to learn, but to progress 8051 leads onto much bigger things. ARM CORTEX is easier than 32 bit pics to learn. Interesting topic I cant wait to see others views!

Didnt read much of this but... There are plenty of 32bit MCUs which price are far less that 8/16 bit mcus. The reason i say this is while you may not need all that performance. Im sure price is ALWAYS a deciding factor and you might as well use a 32bit MCU. ARM are cheaper than PIC in some cases and usually then ATMEL... LPC has some and STM32 is so cheap its crazy!!! You will be amazed!

So if it was me just go with something WELL DOCUMENTED... forget if you need all the power... Get something beefy and determine from there what falls into the needs. You rather start with MORE than LESS.

Not sure if that made any sense at all but heh Its advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back