Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mosfet driving LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkidd22

I have a mosfet trying to drive an LED. I have 2 different configuration as shown.
Why isn't the current through the resistor the same when connections are interchanged.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    16.9 KB · Views: 159
hi,
Consider the actual Vgs voltage in the two cases.
In the M1 case the full V1 appears across the Gate to Source junction.
In the M2 case Vgs is reduced from V1 by the voltage drop across the Source resistor and LED.
E
A01.gif

M1 is an "inverter", and M2 is a "source-follower" (non-inverting).

Here is a more useful way (DC sweep) of using LTSpice to show what is happening in the source-follower configuration:

D11.png

This plots I(D1) vs the gate voltage. Note that you would have to drive the gate more positive than 3.3V to get significant current into D1

Attachments

• Draft11.asc
    838 bytes · Views: 122
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back