Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mono to stereo amplifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-bro

so i have built an 10W amplifier at school and I think its a mono one because it has a + & - for In and Out. now is there a way to convert it to stereo? thanks :)

Mono has one channel. Stereo has two channels that are different.
A mono amp can drive two speakers but then both will play exactly the same thing and will be mono.

I forgot.
There were some "stereo synthesizer" circuits a long time ago.
They made the bass "boom, boom" in one channel and the high frequency "tweet, tweet" in the other channel. It did not sound anything like stereo.

I have the best one I know of in my stereo rack :

**broken link removed**

And works excellent, no boom-boom / tweet-tweet. Uses comb filters, with remarkable results :) Perhaps you have all heard it performing in stereo television from a monophonic movie.
Miguel

True story: early rock and roll was often recorded in mono. The Rolling Stones best album ever (High Tides and Green Grass) was a mono master. They re-released it later converted to "stereo" and it was absolutely awful. If you wear headphones, you can hear them dialing it apart on the first track and hear the image separating. Truly awful sound. No sense of stereo at all.

Last edited:
FYI, High Tides and Green Grass was 1966 and Through the Past darkly was 1969. I would have hoped they would have gone to stereo masters (and decent sound quality) by 1969. I do have both albums in vinyl and I recall the newer one sounds very much better than the old one.

Simply make another identicle mono amp,one for left and one for right channels.you can control the volume with a twin gang pot.What are you using for the input?

I forgot.
There were some "stereo synthesizer" circuits a long time ago.
They made the bass "boom, boom" in one channel and the high frequency "tweet, tweet" in the other channel. It did not sound anything like stereo.

Sounds like a mess mate, hed be better off building a separate stereo amp, throwing it all on one board with a selector switch to have one or the other.

I asked him what he intended using the amp for,eg;mp3 play back ect.but there's been no response,if I don't know what the input is,I can't help him PITY!

My wife is my mate. I am not your mate.
Guys who are in the Navy or who work on a ship are mates.
Some guys have another guy as their wife (mate).

We have a different understanding of that word then. Its merely a figure of speech to address someone in a friendly way round here. And before you say it, I know, you arent from round here. Obviously.

You forgot to say where you are. On Mars?

Birds, bees and all animals mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back