Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Momentary Pushbutton Switch problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

unasimple

Hello fellow electronics geeks!

So I am attempting to reconfigure an old camera flash by putting it into a new case. Basically I want to take a newer electronic flash and put it into the body of an old flash bulb flash to give it an old school feel.

The problem seemed straightforward, I needed to replace the on(1), off(2), and test(3) buttons which were built into the old body with new simple push buttons that I bought from the electronics store so that I could mount the flash unit in the new body. All three of these simple buttons are behaving strangely.

For example the test button. When it is wired in the push button does not trigger the flash, HOWEVER when I disconnect one of the wires from the button then push the button down and tap the wires together it triggers the flash! (Does that make sense?). I.e. I can see the little spark when I tap the wires together while I hold the button down but If I try and trigger the circuit by pushing the button down it does not work.

I have no idea about this, all I can think is that somehow the push button is more damped (circuit bouncing?) than the old switch on the flash and somehow this damped response does not trigger the circuit on the camera. I am at work and hope to post photos later if they are useful.

Any ideas on where to start looking on this one? I'm boggled.

A couple things if the are helpful. The flash is an old Hanimex TB 555. The other switches seem to 'leak' if they are connected i.e. the on switch will trip and turn the device on after about ten seconds if connected. I've tested all the switches with a continuity tester and they appear normal i.e. no signal when open and full signal when closed...it's almost like they are acting as an antennae and drawing in current somehow...i don't know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back