Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Molex Connectors for Computers Have GOT TO GO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack0987

As many of you know. they are quite hard to plug and unplug.
I had hoped that they would long be replaced with something else by now.
I wish they did not exist anymore.

Often, I want to run some things outside of the case using the system power supply,
so I also need connectors or adaptors for that also.

Please Comment and/or suggest a remedy.

My hope was to use readily available made up cables and connectors
as they cheap and easy to come by.

snip.JPG

I guess the original IBM PC design group had the same thoughts.
A few billion units later and they are still used, I guess that they got it almost right.

I have no easy suggestion for a drop in replacement.

they are quite hard to plug and unplug.
As are many other connectors.
Why do you want to repeatedly make/break the connections?

You could try cleaning and polishing the plastic bodies of the connectors, use a mild silicone based polish. That will reduce the friction between the plastic parts, which probably accounts for most of the insertion/removal force.

JimB

Pretty bizarre thread :D

Something that is a world standard, and has worked perfectly for a number of decades, plus it's cheap and it's absolutely reliable.

So one single person wants to use it for something that's it's not intended for, and expects the world standard to change just for him :p

So one single person wants to use it for something that's it's not intended for, and expects the world standard to change just for him :p
Reminds me a little of another member here who has trouble with Altium and expects the entire world's electronics industry to change to use Eagle instead. :p

If you look carefully at the plug you will see two ridges one each of the long sides of the nylon body that plugs into the socket. There you find depressions for the plug to snap into.
We all grab the plug and socket at the large flat side and squeeze, making the ridges and depressions lock into each other and hard to pull the connectors apart, doing the job designed. Squeezing the socket at the narrow end, pulling on the plug (not the wire!) will separate the connection easily. E

Having dabbled with PC's for over 40 years I have never come across a problem with molex connectors and I've found them to be very reliable and easy to plug/unplug.

Can't understand why you are having problems?

Having dabbled with PC's for over 40 years I have never come across a problem with molex connectors and I've found them to be very reliable and easy to plug/unplug.

Can't understand why you are having problems?
I have had problems with the large ATX power connectors in the past, they often are hard to get to and unplug.

As many of you know. they are quite hard to plug and unplug.
I had hoped that they would long be replaced with something else by now.
I wish they did not exist anymore.

Often, I want to run some things outside of the case using the system power supply,
so I also need connectors or adaptors for that also.

Please Comment and/or suggest a remedy.

You can buy them.........Most PC's have a couple spare connectors inside, so buy one to connect to it and add wires, lead these through the case and put what ever other connector you want on the end! Or use wire cutters.......... Or one of the other type of spare power connectors inside the case, OR even you the internal USB header on the MB and just put a female jumper on it.

Or bring the whole thing out the case via a spare DVD bay, Or..........................Just dont

Why not just get an old ATX supply and modify it to use as a bench supply?

Why not just get an old ATX supply and modify it to use as a bench supply?
Why make life easy? I suspect the idea is to add 'things' onto the pc, not a great idea to use a separate ATX with that.

You can actually buy (or, you could) a expansion slot cover with a dc regulator attached to it which connects to a spare hd power connector and gives you a choice of voltages via 3.5mm socket (or something like that)

The great part of using an ATX power supply as a bench supply is vaporizing your mistakes. The 5 volts rail has enough current available to melt test leads when they short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back