Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modify/Boost DC motor driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyew

Hello!

I have a circuit that is running on a serial signal from its onboard microcontroller, where the input signal are Clock/Strobe/Data. This signal input into a DC brushless motor driver that output 42Vdc@2A. It has an optical encoder feedback to the microcontroller to control the angle (360deg) of the motor shaft.

Here's my mystery!

Is it possible to BOOST the output of the motor driver to somewhere around 42V@8A, by changing the motor driver to a higher rating motor driver? If yes, what should I look at in order to "match" the original input specs (Clock/Strobe/Data)??
(FYI, the original optical encoder feedback will be remained by mounting it to the NEW more powerful motor shaft, same diameter of course!)

The original DC motor driver is Allegro A6628 (similar to A3996). My target replacement driver IC is Allegro A3985, because this has a capability of driving external MOSFET (range of 12-50V and 1-10A). The onboard microcontroller is a customised IC which we can access the inside of the driving signal or anything, thus, my hope is on the DC motor driver instead.

Please help !!!

Andy

You need to boost the 42V power supply from 100W to about 400W. Just changing the H-Bridge driver wont do that.

Sounds to me that you need a whole new motor controller...

thanks mike for ur input... why it might not work?? Is it because of the feedback system?

anybody else?

As in Allegro A3985, the MOSFET are external, meaning that you could get higher Ampere with slightly larger MOSFET (well, let's set the top limit of 10A). From the datasheet i have here, the original A6628 is quite similar to the A3985, in terms of their input signal (serial interface).

Maybe by just coupling the input signal to the NEW driver, and a separate power supply to the new driver, will it work?

Please...............
Andy

Hi, Andy... I really really need your help. I've been looking for the A6628 datasheet but I haven't found it. As far as I know that Allegro chip is a IC driver of an Epson printer. I'm working on a proyect and I need to know some details of that chip so please send it to me. And if you also send me the A6628EVT (40 pins) datasheet would be awesome. My mail animexp2p(a)yahoo.com

Thanx in advance!!!!

Hi Sonix,

Unfortunately A6628 datasheet is not available to public and is a product dedicated for Epson only. Thus, I do not have it yet. If you have access to Epson or your friend does, you might give it a try in asking them..... let me know if you have!

What are you trying to do? Flatbed printer?

Thanks andyew, but I thought you said:

..., meaning that you could get higher Ampere with slightly larger MOSFET (well, let's set the top limit of 10A). From the datasheet i have here, the original A6628 is quite similar to the A3985, in terms of their input signal (serial interface).

And I supposed you have the datasheet... the A6628 has 40 pins, I just recognized the 4 outputs. I want to know the what the other pins does... I know, I know reverse engineering. You also said the A3996 is similar to A6628...How did you know it???

THX!!!

In any event, you need to modify the sense resistors and you need to know if you need logic level MOSFETs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back