Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mod schwin motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyhi

Some one gave me a schwin lighting fs 2.0 That wasent working. I think I got it to work becuase its charging now and the motor turns, but i got the wheels off becuase some spokes are broken, and Im gonna replace them.
Its a small 24 v electric scooter.

I wanna give it to some one who really needs it to get to work. The thing is he works 5 miles away and theres hills to go up. This thing goes max 15 mi per hour, on a full charge.

Does any one know what I can do to get like 10 mi per hour more out of it.Its an electric motor.I wanna try to give it more power.

I dont want the battery to drain on him one day on the way to work.Becuase its not strong enough to get up hill

Don't Do It!

15 MPH is fast on any small two-wheeled vehicle. The scooter is mechanically designed to go at a specified maximum speed. You would be placing your friend in very serious danger.
DON'T DO IT!

I recently made a 24V 250W scooter, it went 15km/h about 9._ mph. It could have easily gone above that, I wouldn't be so sure about one made in China on the other hand, just wear a helmet and pads :D

I have a junk electric scooter sitting at a friends house. I plan to rework it for my niece when I get around to visiting and pick it up. Its got the 24 volt 250 watt hub type motor.

I have heard of boosting the outputs on many of the electric scooters just by beefing up the switching devices in the speed controller and putting a higher capacity battery on them. I have been told that some have a built in voltage or current limiting systems in the controller that can be modified for higher motor outputs. I have not worked with any of them yet so I cant actually confirm this.

If you get it running try wiring a high current switch in that will bypass the controller and give you direct power from the battery. This will tell you if you have more output power capacity available with the present system.
If you flip the switch from controller to direct and dont get any more speed or power its already topped out. But if you flip the switch and it shoots out from underneath you then controller mods are in order!

If yours is one of the limited or regulated types you would need to rework the controller for more amps and then bypass or raise current limiter and then you can get a much higher peak torque and top end speed out of them.

Getting more speed requires more continuous power and shortens battery run time. The rule of thumb I have always went by is that in order to double the speed you need four times the power. So going form 15 MPH to 30 MPH will cut the distance to 25% of what it can go at 15 MPH.

You would need to put in a higher capacity battery to get more run time and distance out of it. However many battery powered transportation devices are designed so the battery runs out at about the same time the motor overheats under its rated load condition.

Some form of motor temperature sensing would be needed to keep the motor from burning up if subjected to being ran at extended high output conditions with a bigger battery system. A simple bi metal thermal sensor that shuts off the throttle signal would work in a pinch.

Putting 2x the volts in will give you 4x the power. But the motor duty cycle drops to 25% of what it was originally rated at.

I would try the first part before adding more voltage. You may be pleasantly surprised to find out the 250 watt motor may have the capacity for far more intermittent peak power than what the controller is letting it have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back