Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOD Counter with scaler output

Status
Not open for further replies.

PNeil

Hello forum, I am currently studying MOD counters in my home study course. As they often do, give you assignments with questions that they never teach or put another way, give an example of.

PROBLEM 1:

A MOD 6 Synchronous counter that goes through the following states 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, then repeat. Outputs are obtained from state 3 and 5.

QUESTION 1:
What is the trigger rate, in pulse per second, if the output signal from state 5 is to occur two milliseconds after that from state 3?

Here is what I know... There is an output of 1 pulse for every 3 and 5 pulse. If the output from state 5 occurs 2 millisecond after state 3, that mean that a pulse occur every 1 millisecond in all states. My guess is 1000 pulse per second. (1/.001) which is the reciprocal of time (frequency) but I am not sure. Any help will be appreciated. If they only teach these things one would not have to look to a forum for help.

Thanks

Last edited:
hi,
I will not give you the direct answer, [ it will spoil your fun], but this simulation should help you work out the answer.

Thanks for your help ericgibbs.

The pulse timing diagram shows when each pulse arrive, even thou I don't really understand the voltage levels provided. Blue line (Normal Pulse), 4.5v. Red line (Scaler output from state 3), 3.0v and Green line (Scaler ouput from state 5), 2.0v.

It shows what I already know. There is 1 trigger pulse every millisecond. This comes from the fact that the output signal from state 5 occurs two milliseconds after that from state 3. (that's the clue, no diagram needed, even thou it makes it clearer)

The question here is how does pulse per second relate to pulse per mili-second. (since the test question is in pulse per second)?

1 second contain or I should say equals 1000 milliseconds. (1/.001). So every second there is really 1000 pulse, they just happen in 1 millisecond increment.

The hint they gave was to count the steps. (Do that make sense?)

Again, I have never done this before, so I am clueless. I am just going with what seems logical and I may be right or I may be wrong.

I am out of time with this question, I need to turn in my test so I will go with my logical choice and report back if its wrong or right. Either way, I will receive the answer sheet with explanations. One question wont hurt, I just like to be complete.

Thanks anyway.

hi,
The plots on that multi plot are not voltage scaled, so do not try to make sense of the voltage levels.

1milli-sec = 1/1000 of a second, so a pulse frequency of 1000pps [1kHz], so pps does relate to 1000pps or a 1mSec period. OK.?

I know how they relate, I just explained it in the last thread. Just a different way.

1 Milli-sec is 1/1000 of a second or .001 (same thing) The difference is .001 is in decimal form, while 1/1000 is in fractional form. 1 divide by 1000 = 0.001 (first zero not necessary, and don't change anything) To say 1 second contain 1/1000 of a second within it, is a more complicated way to describe the pulse that occurred in a second, that's the reason I use .001, its easier to comprehend. (the division factor can be understood)

If you're gonna teach me, go ahead, I am here to learn from anyone who are willing to teach. There are a lot of ways to help one without actually telling them the answer. If I am on the right track, please say so, if I am not, let me know, but please direct me in the right direction, I am not here for anyone to do my homework for me. I am not that kind of person.

What is the point of someone doing it for me, I still would not understand. I choose this field to be an expert and not the one to copy another.

Thanks again Eric.

hi PN,
I would like to help, but to be honest I cannot identify the question you are asking me.???

As a general response to your post I would say that in electronics you will find that there are a number of ways to express a parameter value.

For example, I would always use 1mSec rather than 0.001Sec or [1/1000]Sec.

You will find that as the values get smaller say 1μSec, expressing it as 0.00001Sec is open to errors in typing or reading the value.

I would recommend that you use terms like 10msec or 1mSec and say for 0.1mSec 100μSec. ie 10^3 or 10^-3 increments.

If thats not what you are asking about, please re phrase your query.

E.
PS: did you spot my error.?:rolleyes:

Pneil said:
I am out of time with this question, I need to turn in my test

Why do I get the impression that Pneil was on-line during the taking of a test and asking this question??

Why does that disturb my sense of what's right to do for help during a test.

Just askin'

Why do I get the impression that Pneil was on-line during the taking of a test and asking this question??

Why does that disturb my sense of what's right to do for help during a test.

Just askin'

Hello forum, I am currently studying MOD counters in my home study course. As they often do, give you assignments with questions that they never teach or put another way, give an example of.

The OP said the above, so I dont see how it could be an active exam.???

Dear Mr. Cowboybob, If you were paying attension you would have seen that the tread was first posted on 2/24 and a reply was made on 2/26. (I do not know of any online exam that lasted that long). Furthermore my exams can be submitted at anytime, there is no specific date.

I am not sure why they call this section home work help. Everyone assumes that the topic HOME WORK HELP mean that someone is asking for an answer to a test question. We join this forum to learn and share knowledge, what you don't know, I know, and what I don't know, you know etc. If you know anything about teaching you would know how to explain something without giving an answer...but then again your occupation is not a teacher as I can see.

If you do not have anything to contribute, find something else to do. These things happen when one has too much spare time. I am offended that it actually disturbs you. As quoted in your post. Your help I do not need, (don't seem to know much anyway)

Why does it disturbs you?

Last edited:
I receive my test result back. The answer to the question is 1000 pulse per second.

I was correct. We are all here to share, teach, and learn, so I hope this will help someone else with a similar question.

This prove a point, I came here with the correct answer in mind, and was accused of asking for the answer to a test question.

I receive my test result back. The answer to the question is 1000 pulse per second.

I was correct. We are all here to share, teach, and learn, so I hope this will help someone else with a similar question.

This prove a point, I came here with the correct answer in mind, and was accused of asking for the answer to a test question.

hi PN,
I did say this, in post #4.

1milli-sec = 1/1000 of a second, so a pulse frequency of 1000pps [1kHz], so pps does relate to 1000pps or a 1mSec period. OK.?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back