Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MM5451 as a Johnson Counter/Light Chaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodyboy189

Could anyone provide me with a simple way to use the Micrel MM5451 display
chip as a Johnson Counter type light chaser? I want to use it like the good old
4017 cmos counter. Instead of driving a display, I just want each output to turn on, one after another; and drive a discrete L.E.D.

I'm an old guy that was playing with this stuff before the advent of 'PIC' chips,
but I'm willing to learn..:) Thanks!

It looks like you need to update the entire display frame all at once so I don't see any way of doing that simply with discrete components, at least not without a WHOLE lot of extra logic. It would be relatively trivial to do with a micro controller, and you could blink them any which way you wanted. Looks like a nice driver though.

Last edited:
Blimey - the 5451 has been around for almost as long as I have.

I remember using them back in the 1980s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back