Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Missing Pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ken

The out from the SW application (Pulse of 5V) can be adjustable, it just have to be <2mins to make sure the SW is running properly. We can hardcode the pulse rate from sec to mins in that SW with respect to the Watchdog we use. Now I just came up with https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/12/MAX6369-MAX6374.pdf It have some delay too, that will alow the PC bootup time when both the Electronic Device and System is switched on in the same time. But the output of this watchdog is 180s right? As far as I understood its Hi until next pulse to the Watchdog IN. Is it right?

Thanks for your views.

Cheers.

Tiger555,

Looking back through the posts, I didn't see the maximum acceptable time between 0v>5v or 5v>0v, after which you want an alarm.

Ken

Hi Ron, I am using Windows based c# application. See this watchdog - https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/12/MAX6814-3.pdf This is simple right? just produce a pulse from the computer and reset. If any issue in software, the O/P of Watchdog is HI, isit?

Thanks..

I finally understand what you have. :)

You have an application written in C# that you are using with a DIO device. You already have an output to work with. I guess that the output monitors the running application (based on your software) and outputs a square wave as long as the application is running. If the app hangs or stops responding the output stops but can stop in either a logic high or logic low.

Now if that is correct and you have your signal out, I don't understand why you can't just use one of the missing pulse detectors mentioned earlier? The missing pulse detector would look for a pulse train coming in and in the absence of a pulse train would output. This could likely be done with a re triggerable one shot as mentioned then driving a delay circuit. Pulse train stops the one shot outputs and starts a delay, following a delay you trigger an alarm.

Personally since your app is written in C# to communicate with your DIO I would have included a few lines of code in the app to provide an output if the app stops running. For example if the app is running you output a logic low on one reserved DIO line, if the app hangs you go to a logic high on the DIO line (channel). The module within your app would query the Windows WMI service to see if the rest of the app was running.

I am not a programmer, far from it but I have written a few little DAQ routines including a few that monitor if a program is running or stopped. I have only worked a little in VB but would guess a simple module could also be done in C# including a screen message that would pop up. Anyway, given a choice I likely would have done it that way.

Just My Take
Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your reply. Yes you are right thats what I want. But when I tried the missing Pulse Detector, its only O/p signal when there is missing pulse, but not when the pulse is continous HI. I want something to detect like that. Well may be i tried something wrong the other day, will have to see the cirsuit once again. Well or have to go with the 2 timer as i showed you earlier. Anyway the watchdog timer is not avail with Maxim..

Thanks.

I finally understand what you have. :)

You have an application written in C# that you are using with a DIO device. You already have an output to work with. I guess that the output monitors the running application (based on your software) and outputs a square wave as long as the application is running. If the app hangs or stops responding the output stops but can stop in either a logic high or logic low.

Now if that is correct and you have your signal out, I don't understand why you can't just use one of the missing pulse detectors mentioned earlier? The missing pulse detector would look for a pulse train coming in and in the absence of a pulse train would output. This could likely be done with a re triggerable one shot as mentioned then driving a delay circuit. Pulse train stops the one shot outputs and starts a delay, following a delay you trigger an alarm.

Personally since your app is written in C# to communicate with your DIO I would have included a few lines of code in the app to provide an output if the app stops running. For example if the app is running you output a logic low on one reserved DIO line, if the app hangs you go to a logic high on the DIO line (channel). The module within your app would query the Windows WMI service to see if the rest of the app was running.

I am not a programmer, far from it but I have written a few little DAQ routines including a few that monitor if a program is running or stopped. I have only worked a little in VB but would guess a simple module could also be done in C# including a screen message that would pop up. Anyway, given a choice I likely would have done it that way.

Just My Take
Ron

OOPs! caught an error. Can't delete post

Ken

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back