Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mint Tin Bike Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

justDIY

Hey all!

Long time no post ... I've been idle in the electronics hobby for a while now, but recently revived a project from last year.

This is a bicycle taillight powered by an lm3410 boost converter and three AA batteries. The led array is comprised of 28 superflux leds, running at 50mA ea (200mA array total). A PIC 12F683 µC provides for different strobe modes and a power-saving standby.

In the future I will add a tilt switch to the pic so it can detect motion and automatically power up / power down the leds.

Run-time is really great - my latest test left the light running for eight hours, and according to my charger, that had drained ~2300mA out of the batteries. So I might be able to get nine hours total. My avg bike rides are only 2-3 hrs, so a set of batteries should last several trips before needing a recharge.

**broken link removed**

More details, pictures and video can be found on my blog!

Last edited:
What are you using for the headlight?

It looks pretty bright.

The headlight is a series string of three ssc zled p4 leds on a massive heatsink, being driven at 1a... according to the datasheet, the output is somewhere between 540-600 lm

I have a bit more "finish work" to do on the control for the head light, and then I'll do a write up on it as well.

Is the headlight currently using a switching regulator or is that still in the pipeline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back