Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mika from France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mika

Hi there, nice to meet you all !!

I've made a registration today to ask one or two questions about audio electronics.

I hope I'll find here some asnwers.

Could someone point me the right forum category where to ask questions about :

- Adapting a car amplifier into a home use ; And the supplies choicxe for it.

-The reviewing of an old amplifierv - Or the use of it's power supply-

- The making (or right buy / or well, maybe using the one from the old amp) of a tone level for the first said car amplifier -

Have a nice one !

Mika B.

Use a proper home amp, car amplifiers are fairly low quality and almost always have vastly exaggerted specifications.

To use a car amplifier indoors you also need a VERY hefty high current 12V PSU.

car amplifiers are fairly low quality

For the moment, I'm ok with that. It's not to listen to my plates, I've got my perfect Sansui for that?

The one I'm talking about is an old Pioneer GM-40, to use little 4Ohm speakers on my desk.

What do you mean by "exagerated" specs ? I've got the manual, if you want to extend the conversation. I'm genuinely interested in what your are saying.

VERY hefty high current 12V PSU

A hefty one ? Do you mean good quality ? I wouldn't take an alibaba power supply anyways.

And : Do you think I should look for a more accurate forum ?

Mika.b

Hi Mika, welcome.

Nigel means a very high current rated power supply; many modern car audio have ludicrous power ratings.
A car electrical system can supply 80A or more without problems, so the amps do not have to be power-efficient. Such high power drain may only be for very short periods, but the amp may shut down if the voltage drops too low under load.

A good regulated 12V power supply that can give equivalent performance for something like that is likely to be very expensive!

However, the vintage Pioneer unit you mention is only rated at 4A, so it does not need anything all that special and a moderate size supply should be fine.
(Specifications from the manual, here: https://www.manualslib.com/products/Pioneer-Gm-40-3737211.html )

Re. the forum quality, you are very unlikely to find one that has more or more experienced professional electronics engineers, from many different fields. There are also a lot of hobbyist enthusiasts with various ranges of experience.

Perfect!! I will go the bottom of this then.

Much thanks for the manual, but for this one I already had. Though, for some other stuff I've made a bunch of new threads as I can't find them/reach them :

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/hifiengine-and-vinylengine-sites.160860/

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/looking-for-technics-su-c04-service-manual.160858/

I've also just made a thread about the said project :

https://www.electro-tech-online.com...k-pioneer-gm-40-and-tune-level-making.160861/

For the moment, I'm ok with that. It's not to listen to my plates, I've got my perfect Sansui for that?

The one I'm talking about is an old Pioneer GM-40, to use little 4Ohm speakers on my desk.

What do you mean by "exagerated" specs ? I've got the manual, if you want to extend the conversation. I'm genuinely interested in what your are saying.

Most car amplifiers are massively over specified - a '500W' car amplifier would probably be something like a 20W home amplifier.

However, that antique Pioneer isn't bad - '40' in the model number gives the impression of 40W, where it will be about 16W per channel to 4 ohm speakers, or 8W to 8 ohm speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back