Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Might someone help me identify this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Matching Drives.

According to his post, it was missing when he removed it from the bay after hooking up the wrong power. That's how I read it anyway. But one thing I haven't figured out is, why did he have a photo before it was damaged?

Maybe he has 2 matching Drives. Not the smartest thing to do but I Strip mine and all I would have to do is show the second one.

kv

Well, that should have been obvious.:eek:

Last edited:
InductorNoob,

I'm going to ask an obvious question. What happened to your inductor? Chances are, the regulator was over-driven and the inductor over-heated and fell of the pcb. Components can, at times, draw enough heat to melt the solder. I'm just curious if it's sitting inside your computer somewhere. We just have the "before" picture. Are there burn marks around the pads? I'm afraid you may have more damage, but it could be a simple matter of locating your inductor, meausuring it and putting it back on. Just a thought.

I apologize for making multiple quote posts, but to answer your question: This photo is is just a representation. I found the image via Google and posted it for reference...That is why I had to photoshop (poorly) what it looks like now.

The close-up picture (with the inductor intact) is a zoomed-in view of the upper left-hand quadrant of the entire PCB. This inductor (labeled 3R3) is what is now missing. There is another 3R3 inductor on the PCB also, if that makes any difference.

-----

One last question to all : I know I've been asked for the code on the IC nearest the inductor, but it is almost impossible to read and I cannot get the loupe back. Is there anywhere else on the PCB (such as the main IC) that I could find some information to get the data sheet we're looking for?

Again, thanks!

No, not really. The little IC next to the inductor is most likely the switching regulator associated with the inductor. Can you read the number on the other IC next to the other 3R3 inductor? That might help also.

No, not really. The little IC next to the inductor is most likely the switching regulator associated with the inductor. Can you read the number on the other IC next to the other 3R3 inductor? That might help also.

The code on the IC near the 3R3 inductor (the one located on the lower right hand quadrant) is as follows:

f PG7HT
FDFS
6*303

I don't know if that means anything. I'll be posting the info on the other IC's within the next 24 hours.

Thanks!

- Josh

The code on the IC near the 3R3 inductor (the one located on the lower right hand quadrant) is as follows:

f PG7HT
FDFS
6*303

I don't know if that means anything. I'll be posting the info on the other IC's within the next 24 hours.

Thanks!

- Josh

This would be my first guess on what that part is: https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/161/FDFS6N303.php

A quick scan of the datasheet indicates that this might be a reasonable guess since it's a combined MOSFET/Schottky diode IC ideal for use in low-board-space DC-DC converters. It looks different from the IC near the missing inductor, though.

Disclaimer: I am in no way, shape, or form an expert on switchmode power supplies. I just like researching thing. :)

Good luck!

Torben

The close-up picture (with the inductor intact) is a zoomed-in view of the upper left-hand quadrant of the entire PCB. This inductor (labeled 3R3) is what is now missing. There is another 3R3 inductor on the PCB also, if that makes any difference.

Yes, it's understood which part was missing. Do you know what happened to your missing inductor? Floor, computer case, trash?

Yes, it's understood which part was missing. Do you know what happened to your missing inductor? Floor, computer case, trash?

Presumably it can't have gone *too* far.

Torben

Presumably it can't have gone *too* far.

Torben

Unless the trash has already been picked up.:D If it can be found, it would be worth seeing it its' salvagable. Since it fell off the board, we know it's not open, shorted is a different story. But I suspect if there is damage, it's in his regulator and not the inductor.

Last edited:
Unless the trash has already been picked up.:D If it can be found, it would be worth seeing it its' salvagable. Since it fell off the board, we know it's not open, shorted is a different story. But I suspect if there is damage, it's in his regulator and not the inductor.

Someone else made that point too and it seems to me like it's a good bet (if saddening): it may be that the inductor is just collateral damage and the root cause is elsewhere.

In that case, it's time to price out data recovery services. Last time I looked (years ago) that wasn't cheap.

Torben

**broken link removed**

Followed the site from alibaba.com, the company portfolio indicates that they are supplier for Samsung and LG. The octagonal shape matches that Seagate uses.

I've have the same problem with InductorNoob of finding a 3R3 replacement. But mine was a chipped off 3R3, I think that's the reason that my HDD does not boot.

If you take the defective drive to an electronics parts retailer, you should be able to locate a suitable replacement inductor ( not try before you buy), to assure the correct part will fit onto the PCB.

If your data is worth more than $60.00, and you did say that electronics "isn't exactly my forte", then you might consider a data recovery service. Good luck.<ckd>

I'd guarantee you fried your Fetky. There's 2 other smps supplies on there which are probably the regulated low voltage for the mcu and some supply for the motor driver chip (smaller chip). The one you killed is near the motor drive cable so it's probably related to the motor power, it probably shorted and drew enough current to melt the solder as someone said. So i'd bet a dead Fetky (Deadky?) and very possible a fried motor driver IC.

Whoops i just saw the orig thread date... :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back