Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MiG welder..... what is this component?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyr31

view

what is the little yellow blob things here?

not the ones in the Pic but there is another broken one in series on the torch trigger wire.... is it a NTC resistor? if so what value would it be?
the machine is a BOC smootharc 350 there's a service manual available but it does have details of individual components.

Can you read any of the markings on them ... use a sharp blade and you may just be able to lift off the glue to see.

no, the pic is of a pcb from the same machine, the one I part need to replace is inline on the wire to the torch switch, mounted inside the separate wire feeder unit. the broken part is damaged and illegible.

can you think what the purpose of it would be? I haven't come across any other welders with this..

Hi A,
I get the impression, that the components is a Thermistor.
Looking at the manual: **broken link removed**

There is reference to RR on one of the pages and checking Thermistor symbols, they look similar.

hope this helps.
Camerart

Attachments

• Thermistor.jpg
    Thermistor.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Wire control.jpg
    Wire control.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Wrie feed.jpg
    Wrie feed.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 92
My guess is they're PTC fuses (basically resistors that vary their value according to the current flowing through them). They are used for surge protection - if there is a surge of current their resistance goes up, limiting the current to the rest of the board. This protects the downstream components.

yes I seen that, any idea as to purpose and value?
Hi A,
'D' may be correct!

If they are Thermistors, note on the schematic, that each has an arrow, one pointing in and one out. My guess is they are temperature resistors, one goes up and one goes down depending on temperature.

Try a search for 'your welder' plus thermistors, also images, in case you spot the same type.

Good luck.
C.

There is a "t" and a degree symbol next to it in the schematic.

But it does not list initial value nor temperature coefficient.

Hi A,
Today I contacted BOC, and was told that this isn't a UK bought welder, so they don't have details about it. If this is correct, and you want to keep trying. I suggest you find out the supplier, open their webpage, see if there is a 'chat' and ask them.
Remember to say the details of RR1 and RR2 are not in the repair manual that you've got.
Cheers,
C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back