Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Midi to USB adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

roboticmisinfo

I'd like to make a Midi to USB adapter, but I know nothing about how Midi signals are sent, and how USB works. I've looked around on the web, but I can't seem to find any decent information. Could someone explain in simple terms? Ultimately I'd like to design & make one of my own, but I'm a bit stuck on where to start. Could someone put me in the right direction, and maybe give me some examples?

Cheers,

:)

roboticmisinfo said:
I'd like to make a Midi to USB adapter, but I know nothing about how Midi signals are sent, and how USB works. I've looked around on the web, but I can't seem to find any decent information. Could someone explain in simple terms? Ultimately I'd like to design & make one of my own, but I'm a bit stuck on where to start. Could someone put me in the right direction, and maybe give me some examples?

Simple advise - BUY ONE!.

Midi is simple enough, it's just standard RS232, but with optically coupled inputs, and at a fairly fast rate - it's simple to do with a PIC, and there are many examples about.

USB though is VERY different, it's MUCH more complicated, and you would have to write software for both the PC and adaptor - I don't recall seeing a project for one anywhere?, it's not worth it.

I did a google on "midi to usb" and came up with a large of hit and at US$37 it would be a lot less heartache and headaches to buy one.

Yep, I have one that cost just £30, I can't seem to find it anymore, but it works extremely fast and is very simple to use. I imagine the Edirol UM2C is similar and is also £30, and has 2 ins and outs should you need them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back