Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MIDI-Keyboard scanner - error in supply / HF decoupling circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinedup

Common +5V, common ground, decouplers between?
Hi all.
In a distributor's catalogue selling the 510 Scanner IC, (touch-sensitive MIDI), a simplified schematic of a generic (no brand) keyboard controller is added.
Looking at the way the miniature circuit is drawn, it appears that all 20x 0.1uF caps (decouplers) are connected in parallel between +5V (pin 16) and ground, which appears (IMHO) equivalent to one 2uF mini-disc cap.
Is this normal? o_O

The suppied schematic shows +5V bridged commonly to IC pins:
IC1(16&13), IC2(16&6), IC3(16), then IC4>IC19(16&6).
But then it also shows C3>C21 (0.1uF) bridged commonly to ground on one side, the other leg going to all (p16)'s of IC1-IC19.
It then has C22 (0.1uF) again, between IC1(p16) and ground (parallel with original 'circuit listed' C3 in same position). :confused:

The E510 IC is apparently discontinued (WWW/Google research), but hopefully I can still find one here (RSA) or get a listed equivalent.
Main question is the 'parallel' decoupling caps & C3-C22 conundrum.
Maybe I'm missing the boat but this puzzles my brain-cell. :arghh:

Microscopic circuit from components catalogue was abbreviated and re-drawn using Circuit Wizard.
Original Hi-res scan too large for posting (13Mb) & book is probably copyrighted anyway.

Attachments

• E510_abbr(png).png
    E510_abbr(png).png
    88.8 KB · Views: 266
Looking at the way the miniature circuit is drawn, it appears that all 20x 0.1uF caps (decouplers) are connected in parallel between +5V (pin 16) and ground, which appears (IMHO) equivalent to one 2uF mini-disc cap.
Is this normal? o_O

Yes, you have a separate 0.1uF on each IC, as close as possible to it's supply pins.

You can't use one larger capacitor, because it can't be close to each IC.

Thanks for prompt reply Nigel Goodwin. :woot:
The larger value, 2uF was simply my calculation for 20x parallel 0.1uF caps.
I have 2 synths at home, but keen to build this 'Midi-controller' for the fun-of-it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back