Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"MIDI-Bash" ultra simple MIDI controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr RB

Hi, "MIDI-Bash" is an open-source project i've been working on to make a MIDI controller (like Drum Pads or MIDI keyboard) with the absolute simplest of hardware and software.

You only need a PIC chip, 2 resistors and a DIN plug to make a MIDI controller.

I've just posted 2 lots of PIC 16F876 source code on my web page with some photos of the project etc. In keeping with the open-source and "minimalist" ideals the source code uses bitbanging for the 31250 baud MIDI serial output and no interrupts and only TMR0 used. This means it will run on any PIC, even a 4MHz PIC with internal osc. Source is in C (MikroC) with some assembler for the serial bitbanged code.

The MIDI-bash concept is here;
Official Home Page of the Roman Black

The new photos and source code are here;
Official Home Page of the Roman Black

Attachments

• midiba01.gif
    midiba01.gif
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,547
Hi...I find quite interesant those projects of yours,Specially the MIDI-Bash2.Unfortunally is dificult to me to understand the veroboard circuit,and I would like to know if you ever made a PCB,for me to successfully follow your line of work...Thanks in advance for all your hard work.

Un Saludo...

Hi...I find quite interesant those projects of yours,Specially the MIDI-Bash2.Unfortunally is dificult to me to understand the veroboard circuit,and I would like to know if you ever made a PCB,for me to successfully follow your line of work...Thanks in advance for all your hard work.

It's an extremely simple circuit, there's hardly any components, it would be trivial to make a PCB - but the vero layout is clear and easy to follow anyway.

thanks for your answer Nigel...It was an old thread and thought that no one would answer to me,but as I said in my previous post it is a really interesant project for me to try.As you said there are not to many components on it,and I have them all in my bin,so I thought perhaps someone already did the PCB...that would be Great for people like me.I'm a beguiner,and i can tell you for sure that even it really seems easy to follow I get completely lost betwen those traces.

I hope you understand my position.

Sorry for my bad english,Is not my natural language.

Un Saludo...

Hi Apolo8, thank you for the nice words and interest in the MIDI-Bash.

Sorry i never did a PCB for it, as (Nigel also said) it was so easy to make on veroboard as there are almost no parts, most of it is just wires connecting to a PIC.

If you want a proper PCB then you could google and buy a "PIC 28pin proto board", here is one for $15;
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/18

Or if you want to design a PCB then you could make a thread, there are normally many people who like to help with suggestions for PCB designs.

Good luck with the project! :)

Last edited:
Hello Mr RB,
thanks for your answer...I'll make a new thread, as you suggest,hopping help from others...
very,very nice work...
Love learning from you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back