Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microsoft, microsoft, microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrie

So I get a call from this guy (old toppie).
His one printer (one of three) does not work, and he cannot get on the internet.

So I agreed to have a look.
Printer spooler have a couple thousand print jobs, what the....
Cleared that up, cleared the printers cache, now that works.
I don't know how he got that right.
Checked his network, all connections fine, all systems pings all systems. Cool.
Now what set-up for internet does he have, look around, wi-fi, router and antenna on the roof, cool.
Ping router, good.
Try to ping server on internet, nothing. Fiddle around a bit, cool now I can ping the outside server, but damn 160ms return time, that seems a bit weak.
E-mail cannot connect to pop server or smtp server, setting are correct.
So I ended up in the NIC IP configuration, dns set to gateway (router). That looks wrong, change it to SAIX server.
Now here's the funny bit, then I got a message, something to do with microsoft video something whatever.
It seems this guy have a usb video device, and a separate little usb phone thingy.
The message says something to the effect that the usb camera is using the same IP address as the NIC.
Hell, that will not do!!!
But heck I cannot configure that anywhere, so what the hell is microsoft doing?????
I mean the NIC was here first, halo, how can microsoft just assign a fixed IP address to a bloody usb webcam without knowing the rest of the system.
It would seem that is how the microsoft video system references the webcam, with an IP address, stolen from an existing device.

Am I missing something?:confused:

Last edited:
Well you could always beat up your client and smash the wicked webcam, but I guess you can't do that.

No that sounds like a bad idea. But, I was tempted to chuck the webcam out the window, but I'm sure he will notice.

He uses it with skype, you see.

But how the heck do you get microsoft to back of the IP thing with the webcam?

take his skype offline and see if that works.

mmmmmm, I'll definitely try that tomorrow morning.

Maybe, just maybe old macroflop will let go of the stupid bloody webcam, and everything can continue in a peaceful and controlled fashion.

good advice dude..... /..|./ - that's alien for thank you:)

I would take the cam offline and google the problem. I am sure you are not the only one with the same issue. Usually MS assign 196.254.*.* adresses to devices that cannot get to DHCP..... but google should give you the answer, maybe it's a registry hack or something to get it working.

maybe it's a registry hack or something to get it working.

Oh dear! Now you've gone and done it... you mentioned the unmentionable!! ;)

Boomslang that's just it..
The NC IP is 192.168.0.1.(if I remember it right) And MS video system have decided to take the same bloody IP for the freeking webcam.
I tried the dynamic route, but then his wife's Windows ME, okay you can take your hats of put them to your chests and have a moment of silence now-now, does not want to access the required files on his PC for her to do her part of their work. So that's a tough one.
I've tried google, came up short on a solution, but quite a bit of frustration from users with same problem.
Don't know if skype can be blamed directly for this problem, but the poor man will not be happy, he loves to skype.
Interesting thing is his skype is set up to work using the 3G gsm network, not even through his wi-fi.

Okay, this one has me by the short and curlies.

So I've disabled skype completely, unplugged the webcam, uninstalled his internet security software, disabled windows firewall, even changed the bloody IP.
Nothing, you can ping out, that's it.
IE tries to get out, and tangles itself up, to the point where you have to end task it.
Outlook express doesn't get out, neither AVG 8.

If I remember correct ping is handled at a different level that most IP traffic, but I may be wrong.
So I think back to a bug maybe, but how do I update his AV to run a accurate scam. Will try download updates and install it there.
Or put his PC on my network and see what gives, at least I can control my network.
Very, very, very irritating.

I hate to suggest this, but upgrade from ME will fix everything I think. ME was a disaster.

Yes, but funny enough, ME is not the culprit, and I know it's real bad.
I've actually spend numerous hours (probably weeks if time is taken back to back) on this system getting it to run smoothly. (It was all the poor man had back then). But now he has a second newer PC, you see.
To tell me now that I must change it to something else would drive me to tears.
So I'm thinking of fetching his XP machine, getting in up on my network and then to see if I can see mr. internet.
Then I can really have a go at his ISP as they keep saying everything is in order.
The worst of it is that all these various systems connected to this PC, is none of my doing, but nobody is fixing it.
I feel sorry for him, how must he make a living, he needs it for his livelihood.
Real tiring...

You have more then one computer so it is more the a direct connection to the ISP. What does this network look like ? Who/what is doing the local DHCP?

It would make sense that the NIC gets an address like 192.168.0.1 from the DHCP server. The DHCP server should know that this address is taken. When anything else asks for an IP address the DHCP server should know that 192.168.0.1 is taken and provide a number that is not.

The problem is not with the OS but with the setup software for the camera. It should be asking for the IP address for the DHCP server, or if not using DHCP there should be an option to set the IP address manualy.

Last edited:
There is no dhcp server.
Only one PC has access to the internet.
Both PC's are connected to a cnet 8-port switch.There is a utp fly lead from the switch going to a little white box, half round shape, powered the works. This goes via utp to a box sitting on the roof, in there is a wi-fi router (acts as gateway for the one PC to go onto internet), and the wi-fi antenna is connected to the router.
I have no idea how the router has been set up, or what happens beyond that, as that is the ISP's "secret".
Both PC's have static IP set up, as mentioned to ease the process of getting ME to access files directly on the newer PC.

Does that description work for you? I don't feel like drawings and stuff.

I have brought that PC to my house now.
Now it just no chance.
mFouaaghh..foughhh..mfouaghhh.ha.ha.ha (wicked laugh)

Now where is that sledgehammer.:mad:

There are people on the forum that work on networks for a living. Maybe they can understand this system.

FWIW without a DHCP server the blame for the IP conflict falls upon the people who installed the system and software. A DHCP server is the only place IP information is kept. Without DHCP I do not see how IP assigment can be anything but manual.

There is no dhcp server.
Only one PC has access to the internet.
Both PC's are connected to a cnet 8-port switch.There is a utp fly lead from the switch going to a little white box, half round shape, powered the works. This goes via utp to a box sitting on the roof, in there is a wi-fi router (acts as gateway for the one PC to go onto internet), and the wi-fi antenna is connected to the router.
I have no idea how the router has been set up, or what happens beyond that, as that is the ISP's "secret".
Both PC's have static IP set up, as mentioned to ease the process of getting ME to access files directly on the newer PC.

Does that description work for you? I don't feel like drawings and stuff.

Last edited:
Boomslang, just hang on, there seems to be a jam in the fax machine now.

?FWIW

The router is the key, within the network, you can run dynamic IP's, or static IP's, no one cares. The outside never gets anything to bother with the IP's within. The router has a IP that is recognised by the ISP, and I believe it's set up that way. I believe you are talking about that part.

Every small network does not need a dhcp server. My network at home does not run dhcp, I've just set Windows to generate dynamic IP's like it wants, rather than saying, this is yours, that is mine. These connections are validated within the network by means of their connection, wired has access because they are physically connected and their NIC MAC's are allowed, wireless works a bit different, you have your password, along maybe with MAC filtering, etc. system to get access to the network.
The router controls the rest to the outside, providing an invisible door between the two.
Maybe my concepts have grown old, but that is a lay-man's explanation.
If such network guru can provide me with solid steps I would appreciate it.
I could definitely be wrong, but my network works rather well.

I actually get what you were saying a bit better.
The thing with the webcam that had the same IP as the NIC, that was squarely Windows' fault, they had the brilliant idea to access webcams that way (by assigning it a grab out of mid air IP), I moved the NIC's IP to something else and that problem was solved.
There is definitely another blockage somewhere, I can ping out, but that's it.
Busy with that now though.

Last edited:
Ok 3v0, if woken up now. Apologies

Don't know what the hell my head was telling me. I'm also running dhcp, but you have a static dhcp setting on the router, I've set the problem PC up that way, this will allow his second older PC access to the required files, because it will have same IP every time.
Funny though, his was definitely set up manually. And it used to work fine like that, I could not get it to work on my network using a manual set up.
I still believe I'll have to get access to the router on his roof to see how it's configured.
That'll be a mission as his ISP guys are so secretive. they also do not want to come out to look at it.
Needless to say the result I have now is exactly the same than on his network.

All it means is that I can struggle with his PC for longer periods now, because I have near unlimited access to it.

Sorry for this shameless plug

I post on an anti-Microsoft site, https://www.stop-microsoft.org/bbs/index.php feel free to join but before you do note that we don't help people with Microsoft products and swearing is tollereated, if not even encouraged (the site used to be called F Microsoft.com) so if you don't like it then don't join.

Last edited:
Thanks Hero, but I'm dead Sure that, that forum will not help my cause.

That bloody PC is tiring me out.

Damn, I still can't seem to find my sledgehammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back