Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microsoft ANxxx document

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPDCHK

Sorry, the heading should have been "Microchip"

I want to gain more information on home automation using PIC’s in a master/slave configuration using USART.

I once saw a site, (but it does not exist any more, refer to zipped attachment) where a desktop PC was used as the master controller, communicating via RS232 to a bunch of 12C508’s and 16F84’s. Unfortunately I don’t have all the info on that site so I don’t know how long the actual network was and exactly how it all fit together.

I know that "Microchip" has ANxxx documents that describes comms between multiple PIC’s. I’ve searched the "Microchip" site with all the keywords I could think but the number of hits is enormous and none of them relates much to what I want.

So, I was hoping that someone out there might just know the ANxxx document number?

BTW, I’m not planning on using those antiquated PIC’s although I still have some blank 12C509A’s. I’ll first prototype on the 12F675 before final implementation.

Thanks.

Attachments

• PICNET.zip
    42.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Hi Mickster,

I have the link to the X10 protocol. That's not 100% what I was looking for. The reason for that is I don't know if that will actually work here in South Africa. Our domestic power runs on 220V. Our legislation requires that each home be protected by an Earth leakage unit. These units normally operate by detecting leakage currents of around 20mA through the earth wires, but the one I have in my house also monitors the neutral wire.

I know the X10 protocol works directly on the live wire, and it might not affect the earth leakage at all, but I don’t want to spend many an hour building the hardware just to be boycotted by domestic protection equipment. I need to first find out if that protocol actually does work here.

What I was looking for is more the conventional networking with cables. Yeah, I know, it’s bit antiquated, but I can run the network cables in the roof of my house and have all the slave units tie off from there.

Thanks for the reply though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back