Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microprocessor self teaching device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

So I found this M68K micro EC variant, with 512K ram and some eproms. Then I woke up early this morning all excited because it occurred to me I could turn this into a learning tool for myself, by setting it up on it's own board with i/o, maybe a serial port and lcd dot matrix display. I reckon this would be a good way to understand how these things work.

I have distant memory of being in college punching in hex codes with a keypad into a microprocessor breadboard, which had 7 segment displays to display the instructions, and the excitement (okay maybe not excitement) of the stepper motor this was connected to turned this way and that way.

Putting in hex codes might be a bit much though :)

So anyway, it's a quad package jobbie, I have a whole lot of excitement and not much ideas!

Good idea. If you want to get to the programming part really quickly without doing much hardware, you should consider an alternative. I like these Olimex development boards at the link below. They have them for all kinds of different processors, they are not expensive, programming tools are usually pretty cheap too, and attaching an optional LCD display or keypad is also inexpensive. They are available at several distributors like Mouser and Sparkfun. These are good learning platforms, and usually come with serial port or other useful I/O.

https://www.olimex.com/Products/

Don't discount the value of a large user group for the more popular processors, which helps when you have questions.

Oh ok, I like those a lot (something to play with in the future!) - but really I want to develop my own board, even if it doesn't do much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back