Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microphone output driving PWM LED loudness indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got it to where I am quite satisfied now. Ear hears voltage, S, as S^0.3. Eye sees voltage ,S, as S^0.5. Take the square root of the voltage, S^0.5, and call it S'. Eye sees S' as S'^0.5=S^0.25 which is close to S^0.3, which is what the ear hears. Experiment with that approach looks quite right.

Your eyes and ears might be able to comfortably detect 100 dB or more when young but you don't have this dynamic range on a TV so you certainly won't need more than that. If you want it adaptable to any environment 30dB range is plenty. with fast-attack slow-decay quasi-peak detecting AGC to normalize it, if you are too lazy to adjust the sensitivity,

I remember a Manitoba musician had a semitrailer with the inside walls having thousands of tiny coloured lights arranged in an array and driven by 1/3 octave stereo graphic equalizer in 3dB steps. ... playing his music of course. But I really liked the quadraphonic display in the EE lounge at U of Mb in early '70s that Advance Electronics provided. They modified a TV using RGB colors with no raster scan. Instead the yoke was rotated 45 degrees and had a radar plot of 3 bands from 4 sources starting from a dot in the center. Lissajou had nothing to compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back